Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I have a coworker who signed his rights to a child away(it's a long complicated story) and the mothers new husband was supposed to adopt the child. The judge signed off and he wouldn't ever have to pay child support, he no longer had a legal obligation to the child. Well the adoption never happened and now the mom and stepdad have split. She is now going back after my coworker for child support. Is this legal? He does have an appointment with a lawyer but that's Friday.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM
In my state it would be. You can't sign away rights to a child just because you want to, so if the adoption never happened, he would still legally be the father.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
petie1104
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM
It depends on what it was the judge signed off on and how it is interpreted in your state.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM
He didn't want to but it's a very complicated story. He says he would pay child support but she is trying to go back and make him pay for the three years she was married to the other guy. I don't remember what the total was but it was a lot and I don't think that's fair.

Quoting Anonymous:

In my state it would be. You can't sign away rights to a child just because you want to, so if the adoption never happened, he would still legally be the father.

unspecified42
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Why did he stop paying? That was definitely a bad move:/

I hope things work out for him!

Quoting Anonymous:

He didn't want to but it's a very complicated story. He says he would pay child support but she is trying to go back and make him pay for the three years she was married to the other guy. I don't remember what the total was but it was a lot and I don't think that's fair.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM

depends on the state, but in michigan you can't "bastardize" a child

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM
He didn't stop paying until the judge signed off to let him give up his rights . The new husband was supposed to adopt the little girl but they never got the paperwork started on that. Now three years later they have split and she's trying to back after B for child support on a child he has not legal obligation to anymore. It's lawyer made it clear that he had no rights for the girl and would never be pursued for child support.

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

unspecified42
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Oh, that's good. Hopefully it's clear to the judge that his obligation was assumed over. She sounds like kind of a bitch for trying to make him pay for that time.

Quoting Anonymous:

He didn't stop paying until the judge signed off to let him give up his rights . The new husband was supposed to adopt the little girl but they never got the paperwork started on that. Now three years later they have split and she's trying to back after B for child support on a child he has not legal obligation to anymore. It's lawyer made it clear that he had no rights for the girl and would never be pursued for child support.

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM
She really is being a bitch. She's one of those types of women that uses children as pawns to get her way.

Quoting unspecified42:

Oh, that's good. Hopefully it's clear to the judge that his obligation was assumed over. She sounds like kind of a bitch for trying to make him pay for that time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured