Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So I'm taking a break from planning my son's birthday party and decided to watch some TV. I got suckered in to watching "16&Pregnant". This girl put her baby for adoption and then took the baby back (she gave her daughter to her aunt and uncle.)

Her mother told her that she already raised for her kids and that she wanted her daughter to raise her  own baby. I mean, the mom did help but it got me to thinking...did any of your mom's help with your first baby?

I spent a week at my mom's after my son was born to help me but I don't think I would of stayed as long if I didn't have a bad reaction to the epidural. She still helps me out here and there when I'm in a pinch and I'm very thankful that I know I can call her and be like: "OMG WHAT DO I DO?!" haha.

Here's my son and my mom at the park the other day! (Yes, he had sunblock on but threw his hat off his head...he hates hats. >_<)

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Replies (31-40):
boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM

my mom bought me groceries so i had a full fridge, but that's about it. she didn't stay at my house or anything. 

SterlingHeart
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I was 23 when i had my first, married and worked full time 

my mom came and stayed with me for 2 weeks when he was born 

then i was on my own --- don't recall thinking i needed extended help 

i changed up my work schedule to make it so either me or hubby had the baby aside froma  2 hour window where he was at my best friends house being sat.... 

worked out well for us --- 

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Hell no. My oldest is almost 6 and I can think of a handful of times my mom would baby sit and that wasnt until she was much older. Shes only seen my 1 year old twice because we moved, but I doubt she would have been much help with her either. She just doesnt have the patience for kids.

Harmonytmrrw
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM

My mom isn't an angel and she was nice enough to stay when I first went into the hospital but because she knew I wasn't having the baby that night, she went home so her dog wouldn't sleep alone.

Quoting NoahandEliza:

My mom couldn't come to the hospital when my first was born because...wait for it...her cat couldn't be alone. So no, she didn't help at all.

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I will for sure be there for my kids when they have their children. My mom wasn't really there for me in that way but I wanted her to be
mybabyapples
by Nickels on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM
My mom passed 13 months before my first was born, it was just ne and dh. I know she would have been there for it all though. She used to talk about how she couldnt wait for grandkids when i was a small child. Id give a limb to have her here.i do remember after my first was born wishing i had someone to ask about breastfeeding. I made a lot of calls to the ped and cried a lot.
cmabbott
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Nope, my child my responsibility.  My Dad however, when my exdh walked out would watch my oldest while I worked (and he dropped me off and picked me up from work- I worked as a stockroom manager after mall close to around 3am and he didn't want something to happen walking from the mall to my car.  My Mom HATED that he did it, but I was very thankful.  

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Wow, that is sad.  My mom came to the hospital afterward but I didn't want anyone except for DH there while I was in labor.  I loved my mom but she is very intense and I was already stressed out about everything so  having her there would have been too difficult.  It was bad enough when she called, the nurse told her my water hadn't broken so they might send me home and then they gave the phone to me - she was hysterical saying I couldn't go home, what were they doing, they were going to kill me, etc.  DH handled any further calls.

Quoting NoahandEliza:

My mom couldn't come to the hospital when my first was born because...wait for it...her cat couldn't be alone. So no, she didn't help at all.

PoplarGrove
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I wasn't a teen Mom but we lived with my parents after our first was born (lease was up in the old place in April but our house wasn't due to be done until September) and my Mom was a huge help.  I had severe PPD so she did a lot for my dd and for me.  

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Both my mom and mil came over the first month to help out, I had C-sections, so I welcomed it. Bit it's not like they were here 24/7. IMHO, you don't do your child an actual favor by helping them too much. I learned and formed a routine precisely because I didn't have anyone else to do it for me.
What was life saving, though, was that the women of my synagogue planned together to bring me and my DH lunch and dinner every day for the first month and they also took turns to get my groceries and do any other errands I couldn't do. That's what we do when someone has a baby or is sick.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)