Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You wake up tomorrow....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

...and can no longer do any of your favorite things. Your hobbies are now out of reach. I'm not going to give a reason because it all depends on what your hobbies are. Just assume that something happens and you can't do those things anymore. Whatever has caused this may also affect other hobbies you might choose.

So what do you do now? Do you have any idea of where you might look for a new hobby? Would you just deal with the lack of one and sit back until an interest came to you? Search the internet for ideas? Randomly try different hobbies to see if you take to something?

Assume you're not trying to fill a void of time, and in fact time for the hobby is scarce anyway. It's more having something you *do* for your mental health.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM
this was posted already...
lalaboosh
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I went through this, lol, actually I AM going through this. I haven't solved the problem. Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM
When and where? I'm truly curious about people's answers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM
I am, too. DH wants me to "do some research" to find a new hobby. I told him it doesn't work that way, I'm not going to waste time trying to like something. I want to do the stuff I already love or something that interests me.

Quoting lalaboosh:

I went through this, lol, actually I AM going through this. I haven't solved the problem. Lol.

ermka
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM
I'd find something else. None of my hobbies are significant enough in my life that I'd be lost without them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM
nvm. I see now with my glasses it was bumped.

to answer your question, it would depend on a few things IMO. I, personally, don't have many hobbies or time for them at times. I've picked up a few different things I enjoy to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

When and where? I'm truly curious about people's answers.

Quoting Anonymous:

lalaboosh
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Yeah, what happened to me was poverty and a very needy baby. After a while I had a little time, so I got into playing the sims. You can be creative in that game, so it helped. I loooove the sims!

Quoting Anonymous:

I am, too. DH wants me to "do some research" to find a new hobby. I told him it doesn't work that way, I'm not going to waste time trying to like something. I want to do the stuff I already love or something that interests me.

Quoting lalaboosh:

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Write down a list of all things I like doing and pick some from the list.  I had to do this when I only had drugs as a hobby and went to rehab to get clean.  I'm doing much much better now with healthy hobbies!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Yea babies change a lot!

My problem is a shoulder injury that severely limits use of my right (dominant) arm.

I'm a car seat tech who can't install car seats. I'm a certified instructor through signing time academy who can't sign. Both things that were previously a very big part of my life. Even my minor interests have been stalled. I can't cut through fabric to sew, I don't have the coordination to cross stitch left handed, and typing a whole damn story pecking with one hand just doesn't sound worth the hassle. The scene will have left my mind before I get the first sentence out.

I'm sure with time and practice I could do more with just one hand and some of my hobbies may be re-attainable. But they aren't possible now or anytime soon. And no the injury is not temporary. It's really starting to get depressing having everything I love to do taken from me on top of the pain and stress.

Quoting lalaboosh:

Yeah, what happened to me was poverty and a very needy baby. After a while I had a little time, so I got into playing the sims. You can be creative in that game, so it helped. I loooove the sims!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lalaboosh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN