Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Animal tax?! Seriously?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 33 Replies

Mobile Photo

I have two cats that stay inside at all times. I think this is extremely ridiculous and just another way to screw people over and put noses where they do not belong. If I could move right now I would. Until then I guess I'm going to have to pay a tax on my inside cats, next it'll be my children. Like we don't pay enough taxes as it is? What will they come up with next!?
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM
That's been in place for years here. It's called a license fee and I know of very few people who actually get a city license for their pets.

Hell a few years ago the city of Houston tried to access vet records to fine people who don't have the license and the vets fought hard and won.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM
2 moms liked this

They're trying to encourage people to spay/neuter their pets by imposing fees. I don't really see anything wrong with it. 

LilrockerMama
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Wow that is just insane. What do you think about it? Do they have the right to tax and go through records and etc?

Quoting Roxygurl:

That's been in place for years here. It's called a license fee and I know of very few people who actually get a city license for their pets.

Hell a few years ago the city of Houston tried to access vet records to fine people who don't have the license and the vets fought hard and won.
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Every city we've ever lived in has required the registration of pets and charged a fee for it. Perfectly normal and done everywhere.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
OH it's $5 a YEAR... waaaaaaaaahhhhh
MooseMomma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Here in New Hampshire the vets send a notification to the town when they give your dog a rabies shot....and the town will take you to court if you haven't gotten your license.

Quoting Roxygurl:

soon2bmomof2grs
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Not a new idea. They had to pay taxes on pets back in the day, based on animal size.

jacsmama022
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM
This. My city has had this in place for years. And really...It's not that much money lol

Quoting KaylinC03:

They're trying to encourage people to spay/neuter their pets by imposing fees. I don't really see anything wrong with it. 

KGreen75

IF the money goes to the county animal pound, i agree with the tax.  County animal shelters are usually terribly underfunded.

adhaodd1child

In my hometown they have been had that its to keep track of the dogs who have had their vaccine's if the dog hasnt and it lose or bites another dog/person its easy for the cops to track the dog. They dont really worry about the cats or about neutering.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)