Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does anyone know anything about Freemasonry?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 100 Replies

DH brought up today that he and one of his friends were thinking of becoming Free Masons. I really don't know anything about it except that my grandfather is in it. I always thought it was more of a Christian organization so I was a bit confused as to why DH wanted to join. I was flipping through the little booklet thing he brought home, but I still don't know much about it. One of the requirements to join is to believe in a Supreme Being, which DH has already said he will lie about if he decides to join up.

Can anyone tell me about it?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom5150
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM
It's a secret society. My ex was invited to join more than once and declined because of some weird things they do, he would never elaborate. All I know is a lot of very prominent people are members.
SWasson
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

It's another club where grown men play at a bit of mysticism and make social connections.

Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM
It a social club... and they have a lot of secrets. DH would never be able to join; he can't keep a secret to save his life lol
emandab
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM

There are lots of really interesting books, fact and fiction, relating to the masons.  I'd try doing some reading.  I'm such a cliche but I became more interested when I read Dan Brown's "The DaVinci Code".  It's fictional with a lot of factual information about some of the history of the Masons.  I'm a book worm though.  I also know a few masons, frankly it's not something I would turn down. lol not that I'd ever be invited because I'm a girl.

Toxic.Stardust
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM

In reading the booklet thing, they said they are "not" a secret society. I thought it was funny that the no was in quotation marks

Quoting michiganmom5150:

It's a secret society. My ex was invited to join more than once and declined because of some weird things they do, he would never elaborate. All I know is a lot of very prominent people are members.

Toxic.Stardust
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM

apparently there is a branch called "order of the eastern star" which girls can join

Quoting emandab:

There are lots of really interesting books, fact and fiction, relating to the masons.  I'd try doing some reading.  I'm such a cliche but I became more interested when I read Dan Brown's "The DaVinci Code".  It's fictional with a lot of factual information about some of the history of the Masons.  I'm a book worm though.  I also know a few masons, frankly it's not something I would turn down. lol not that I'd ever be invited because I'm a girl.

emandab
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I've heard of that.  There is also a branch for teen girls(or young girls, not sure what the age range was) if they have a male family member.  They had a yearly convention  at the hotel I work at a couple of weeks ago.  It was interesting.

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

apparently there is a branch called "order of the eastern star" which girls can join

Quoting emandab:

Toxic.Stardust
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM

rainbow girls?

Quoting emandab:

I've heard of that.  There is also a branch for teen girls(or young girls, not sure what the age range was) if they have a male family member.  They had a yearly convention  at the hotel I work at a couple of weeks ago.  It was interesting.

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

Quoting emandab:

emandab
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I think they were called Job's Daughters.  Which makes them sound super religious. But I'm under the impression that as a whole they aren't secular by nature, but yeah like you mentioned, believe in a supreme being.  

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

rainbow girls?

Quoting emandab:

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

Quoting emandab:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM

They way that it was explained to me was it's a brotherhood. If you're in need someone will help you, no questions asked, but you always pay it forward to a fellow brother. One of my husband's Navy friends, who was living with us at the time, became a member...or whatever you'd call it. He was really excited and wanted my husband to be a part of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)