Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if your kids are grounded...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
Do you make exceptions?

Ds isn't really grounded, but he's becoming addicted to video games. He gas a high tendency to become addicted from the family history... Everything he talked about, was the video games.

My ex hadn't seen him in almost a month... He popped up today and asked if they could play the xbox... I said yea, even though I don't want ds playing it....

Its the only thing they do together and if I would've said no, he would've been gone within an hour. I'm also letting him stay up until ex leaves. Who knows when my son will see him again!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I feel like I haven't heard ds laugh like this in a while. I wish he'd come around more often. I know my son misses him and its affecting him badly
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Nope, because I am the boss and if I dont stand by what I say I will get walked all over
HelenaHanbasket
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Your ex sounds like a douche. But I probably would let them play. Douche or not, he's his father. It is sad though.
DaconosMommy
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM

My brother is 24 and still plays video games. We have to literally turn off the power to my son's room for him to stop playing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM

it became really bad for DS. he'd wake up in the middle of the night, 'needing' to play. thats all he ever wanted... well, still wants to do. i'm not sure if i should just completely take it out of his life for good... or wait a few months and slowly transition it back in. he's learning about the addiction problems that runs in the family, but above all, i want him to learn about moderation. i'd rather him be addicted to video games than drugs... but at the same time, i dont want something to have that sort of control over him. =(

(its something that i need to work on too... i think its hard for me to say no sometimes, or stick to my guns b/c i also had addiction problems. i still dont know things in moderation. i either go fullforce on stuff... or i cut myself off cold turkey... until i fall off the wagon. thankfully, its nothing illegal or where it truly interferes with my parenting)

Quoting DaconosMommy:

My brother is 24 and still plays video games. We have to literally turn off the power to my son's room for him to stop playing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM

he can be great sometimes... he was a good and attentive father when we were together... but he took a back seat to it once we broke up. he's supposed to see/get him every first and third saturday... but its never happened before and this weekend, me and DS will be gone on vacation. the next 'scheduled' time, is on the 20th, but like i said- who knows if he'll really see him then. frustrates me, but i'm getting to where i'm accepting it as is. i cant change him and i cant expect things outta him either.

Quoting HelenaHanbasket:

Your ex sounds like a douche. But I probably would let them play. Douche or not, he's his father. It is sad though.

itzmyzoo
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I have had to tell my kids they have been playing vids to much and to go outside and play! But, ya, I probably would have made the same exception.
starlight91
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Nope, Im not getting walked all over because they would then believe that their groundings would never stand.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:03 PM

even when i tell him to go out and play, its about the video games that he plays... does that make sense? like his world REVOLVES around what the games are and only that.

Quoting itzmyzoo:

I have had to tell my kids they have been playing vids to much and to go outside and play! But, ya, I probably would have made the same exception.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)