Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

really?? advice please if you have any.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I have a 2 1/2 year old dd. I'm concerned because when she gets mad or doesn't get her way, she tends to hit herself, other things, or pull her hair (along with screaming and a tantrum). she has been doing it for a while, but it just started to be more frequent. Is it a normal toddler thing or should I be worried about something more?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonandon
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM

My daughter's never done it, but it doesn't mean it's not normal tantrum behavior, I've just never seen it. 

sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
This, but with my two boys.

Bump for someone who's been through it.

Quoting Anonandon:

My daughter's never done it, but it doesn't mean it's not normal tantrum behavior, I've just never seen it. 

brittney28
by Brittney on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Normal
areyouatroll
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I think that she is seeing someone else lose their cool and is exaggerating the behavior.
lalalamama
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
My youngest would get so mad at that age he would bang his head on the floor! He's now 18, super smart and well adjusted. So yes, in my experience it's within the range of normal behaviour.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM
That's the thing though..she has 2 sisters who are here every other weekend that don't really argue in front of her, and my dh and I rarely argue in front of her. The tantrum I understand. It's the being physically violent with herself that I'm concerned with. Nobody is ever violent in front of her.

Quoting areyouatroll:

I think that she is seeing someone else lose their cool and is exaggerating the behavior.
areyouatroll
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Does she watch any cartoons where the characters get upset for mistakes and hit themselves?

Quoting Anonymous:

That's the thing though..she has 2 sisters who are here every other weekend that don't really argue in front of her, and my dh and I rarely argue in front of her. The tantrum I understand. It's the being physically violent with herself that I'm concerned with. Nobody is ever violent in front of her.

Quoting areyouatroll:

MorganShaye
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:22 PM

My dd did that when she got REALLY frustrated with something. It starts off as screaming and then goes onto the hair pulling and hitting herself. She would pull out HAND FULLS of her hair. I know its lame, but when she got to that point (yes, I tried to reassure her before that point but she feels I don't understand and gets more frustrated) I would grab her and sit her on my lap and make her look at me. Then I would tell her to do the breathing exercise. In through your nose out through your mouth. It took a few minutes to get her calm enough to do it but once she did it she calms down. Now she is 4 and she will come to me and say "I'm mad, I'm doing my breathing". That or she will sit off by herself for a few minutes til she is calm. I think its normal. Young kids like that don't understand how to deal with their frustrations appropriately so they release it anyway they can.

reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Sounds like a 2 year old to me. They don't have the words to tell you how they feel so they act out. She's frustrated she can't have her way and that's how she's telling you.

jmoore42709
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM
My daughter has never done that but the best thing to do is ask her doctor maybe he can give you advice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)