Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am an adult thumb sucker!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

This is my confession.  I have perfect teeth too!  (I have never needed braces.) I usually suck my thumb at night.  My daughter also sucks her thumb. I was shamed as a child. Now I don't care. 

I have thought about putting the bitter apple on my daughter's thumbs but she enjoys it so much.   I'm hoping her teeth don't suffer too much.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:45 PM
My sil is in her 30's and does it still sometimes. She had to have braces when she was younger, but i don't know if its because of that. She has gotten better about it because her son would see her do it and copy her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Me to. I only do it at night tho.I also have perfect teeth.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:14 AM
i never needed braces either! My LO will probably be ab adult fhumbsucker and her teeth look bad. Not sure what to do about it if anything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Ooooookay.
hreynol25
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Ewww. But whatever gives you comfort lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fivegirls333
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:21 AM

i used to LOVE sucking my thumb.  i gave it up around 11 or 12, but then i bit my nails, and then i smoked! ...hmmm.  whenever i see a small child with the little "thumbsucker overbite"?...i always sit down a tell them how much i used to love it and how hard it was when my parents told me "only at night"...we always have a good giggle!  i have always believed that way more adults do it then people realize.

kelliehelvie
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I did till I was 12
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Do any of you ever tell your kids to stop sucking their thumb?  I guess for me it's not a big deal because it doesn't impact my teeth but my LO has a weird bite forming.  Plus she is stubborn as a mule and I feel like if I put the bitter apple on her thumb that she will just end up digging in her heals farther.

Quoting fivegirls333:

i used to LOVE sucking my thumb.  i gave it up around 11 or 12, but then i bit my nails, and then i smoked! ...hmmm.  whenever i see a small child with the little "thumbsucker overbite"?...i always sit down a tell them how much i used to love it and how hard it was when my parents told me "only at night"...we always have a good giggle!  i have always believed that way more adults do it then people realize.

dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I stopped sucking my thumb around 11, because I was going on a huge Girl Scout overnight camping trip and I didn't want to be embarrased so I spent a while before hand weaning myself from it.

I chewed my nails a bit afterward, but not much.

I did end up needing braces, but I think that would have happened regardless.

Quoting fivegirls333:

TrouserMouse
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Do you play with your ear while you suck your thumb too? I always see little kids do it and the one adult that I saw that did it did too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)