Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fun Things to do in Portland!!??

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM
  • 31 Replies

Hi Ladies,

Please tell me some of you ladies have been to the Portland, OR area and know of some fun things to do in the area?

SO and I have decided (last minute) to go there this weekend  =D So far I was thinking maybe we could go to a fireworks show, maybe the zoo, and MAYBE the coast...depending on how close it is to Portland. We plan to be there the 4th through the 7th.

***UPDATE***

If you want to read a little bit about our time in Portland see page #4   =D

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bubbasmomma08
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:21 AM
2 moms liked this

I live across the bridge from Portland.. The Zoo is fun,Omsi, Saturday Market/ Waterfront, lots of shopping in downtown Portland, the coast is a couple hours aways from Portland, their is a smaller outlet mall in Troutdale and a bigger one in Woodburn..

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Thanks for your reply! Do you live in Vancouver, WA? I'm assuming Vancouver is across the bridge..lol

So, the Saturday market is on the waterfront? Could you give me an idea of the address? That sounds like fun! We are a big fan of zoos so I am happy to hear that you think the zoo is fun. What is Omsi?

Hmm, the coast sounds farther than I thought. Is there any place that we could take our dd (5) to get a little wet? A park with water fountains? Lake?

Thanks again!

Quoting Bubbasmomma08:

I live across the bridge from Portland.. The Zoo is fun,Omsi, Saturday Market/ Waterfront, lots of shopping in downtown Portland, the coast is a couple hours aways from Portland, their is a smaller outlet mall in Troutdale and a bigger one in Woodburn..

bex55
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM

The coast is about an hour away, but it's a really nice drive if you take 26 and the OR coast is gorgeous! Fireworks over the river on the 4th. Avoid downtown though, going to the riverfront park off of Macadam is always much nicer. The zoo is fun but always really packed on weekends. If you do go up there on the hill you can check out the rose gardens too, they are really pretty. Mt. Tabor is nice and it is the only active volcano in an urban area, but don't worry it's not going to blow or anything. ;) Tons of river trails the eastbank esplenade is nice, or you can head out to the Clackamas river. If you like to be outdoors Oregon in the summer can't be beat.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:31 AM

OMSI (The science museum), The Children's Museum, zoo, John's Incredible Pizza Company.....I am in Vancouver and those are some of the things we like to do in Portland. Oh and Cinetopia Movie theater in Vancouver or Beaverton. Beautiful local theater chain (3 theaters) and if you go in the movie parlor for all ages you can have lunch with your movie. 

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Thanks for your reply!

So, these fireworks on the river...could you give me an approximate address or a link to a website that tells you where to go/park? We will definitely be looking for a firework show on the 4th. =)

Quoting bex55:

The coast is about an hour away, but it's a really nice drive if you take 26 and the OR coast is gorgeous! Fireworks over the river on the 4th. Avoid downtown though, going to the riverfront park off of Macadam is always much nicer. The zoo is fun but always really packed on weekends. If you do go up there on the hill you can check out the rose gardens too, they are really pretty. Mt. Tabor is nice and it is the only active volcano in an urban area, but don't worry it's not going to blow or anything. ;) Tons of river trails the eastbank esplenade is nice, or you can head out to the Clackamas river. If you like to be outdoors Oregon in the summer can't be beat.

bex55
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh and a cheesy touristy thing is to go to VooDoo doughnuts. It is awesome, I just never go because there is always a line a block long, but the daughnuts are awesome and if you have kids they will love it. It is downtown off of Burnside, I think like second or third street. Right by Saturday market actually, well a few blocks up. But it would be a great break during market. Have fun. I love Portland, I will never live anywhere else in the US.

bex55
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:38 AM

We usually go to Willamette park, it's off of Macadam. It's nice, less people and you can see the fireworks from downtown and Oaks Park. Oh, oaks park, duh. If you have kids it is really fun. There is a skating rink and rides, it's like a permanent carnival. Plus the unlimited ride bracelets are only around $15.00 and that includes skating. We always have a fun time there. It does get really busy on the actual fourth b/c they do fireworks but a different day, or if you don't mind the crowd, you should definitely go there.

Quoting ballerina18:

Thanks for your reply!

So, these fireworks on the river...could you give me an approximate address or a link to a website that tells you where to go/park? We will definitely be looking for a firework show on the 4th. =)

Quoting bex55:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:50 AM
I was just in Portland for leakycon! All I did was the con but it seemed like a very nice city.I'll go back one day when I have more time to adventure out. :)
autodidact
by Snarknado on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Powell's books

saturday market

ETA: Rose's Delicatessen

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)