Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What you Do? (Education related)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

so last year when i was on maternity leave i decided i was going to go back for my high school diploma(i was 23 at the time this was around august) i began my education with PENN FOSTER highschool and took online courses, i had auto matic payments that were debiting from my credit card account monthly so all WAS fine there. well December of last year i was admitted to the hospital for some health issues (which thankfully i was able to over come) i was hosptalized for 2months. but i never cancelled my auto payments, i still wanted to continue with my education i was just of course unable to do my courses.

well yesterday i called Penn foster to find out my login info again to complete my HS diploma ( i had completed 48 courses of 50 ) meaning i only have TWO test left before i get my high school diploma! well they informed me my account went into collections when i asked why the auto debit stopped they said "after you completed so many courses you were automatically enrolled in a new high school program to match your credits which stopped your auto pay) well i never knew this , i constantly would check my email that they used to use as source of communication and i never even recieved a notice saying that i was behind on payments etc.. so they refferred me to the collections agency.

the collection agency said my bill is 1400.00 and i have to pay that up front in order to continue my courses. (My inital enrollment was only 1100 in august and i paid about 250 towards it already) so basically they racked up fees of over 500.00!! not to mention it JUST went into collections on the 6th of june. so my question is this should i do a payment arraingment with them and wait the 7 months (200 a month to pay off balance) then take the two test for my HS diploma or should i dispute this amount and go with another school for my hs diploma?  wwyd? regardless i will have to pay to them to avoid this from hitting my credit but i feel so screwed by them, i even reffered two people to them who also go their HS diploma there. Smh

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SageAdvice
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Why wouldn't you just take the GED and move on forward with your education? Colleges for the most part don't see a difference in a regular diploma and a GED, not at your age anyway and I doubt your headed to an ivy league school anytime soon.

It's not only cheaper but faster, and allows you to be marketable that much sooner in the work force.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Quoting SageAdvice:

Why wouldn't you just take the GED and move on forward with your education? Colleges for the most part don't see a difference in a regular diploma and a GED, not at your age anyway and I doubt your headed to an ivy league school anytime soon.

It's not only cheaper but faster, and allows you to be marketable that much sooner in the work force.

i was looking into that as well but the GED is a flat out test and im not sure ill be able to pass it outright. i liked the idea of the HS diploma just because i was able to do assignments with literature where i can you know read the assignment and refer back to the book work for the answers like you would in school. but with the GED its just one test .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:31 AM
If your auto pay stopped and you never used the money (it doesn't sound like you knew it stopped so I am guessing the money is still in your account) why not take that and pay down what is owed to collections?
armywife009
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Why are you paying so much for a diploma that you could get for $30 at a community college?

That's what I did, it took me two months to complete mine and that was going every saturday and every other week for a test or every week depending on how I did on practice test (fast track course, because I tested high).

SageAdvice
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Actually there are GED classes online that offer worksheets and such and the test is most times broken up into sections.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SageAdvice:

i was looking into that as well but the GED is a flat out test and im not sure ill be able to pass it outright. i liked the idea of the HS diploma just because i was able to do assignments with literature where i can you know read the assignment and refer back to the book work for the answers like you would in school. but with the GED its just one test .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

If your auto pay stopped and you never used the money (it doesn't sound like you knew it stopped so I am guessing the money is still in your account) why not take that and pay down what is owed to collections?

i only have a 500.00 credit card limit the payments that they used to take out usd to be around 50.00 a month and i have auto payment from my checking account to pay off my credit card balances, which i have direct deposit from my pay checks to go into my checking lol. so basically i dont have the full 1400 to even pay them on my card.

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:45 AM

You can get a HS  diploma at a CC, it's the same as being in highschool, only as an adult. The GED is a series of tests and before taking those tests, you have to take practice tests because you are only allowed so many tests a year.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SageAdvice:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:46 AM

no way! do you know of any of them on the top of your head? ive done so much research on that and couldnt find a ged program online , only local schools to take them at. or testing centers.

Quoting SageAdvice:

Actually there are GED classes online that offer worksheets and such and the test is most times broken up into sections.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SageAdvice:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Quoting armywife009:

You can get a HS  diploma at a CC, it's the same as being in highschool, only as an adult. The GED is a series of tests and before taking those tests, you have to take practice tests because you are only allowed so many tests a year.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SageAdvice:

sorry what does cc stand for?

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Community College.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting armywife009:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SageAdvice:

sorry what does cc stand for?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN