Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We were telling jokes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

At dinner time my DH, son, daughter and I were telling jokes. My husband tells one - we all laugh. I tell one - we all laugh. My sone tells one - we all laugh. My daughter tells one - everyone except me busts out laughing hysterically. My jaw dropps and I dont know what to do because it was aimed at me. Here is the joke:

What do bricks and white women have in common?

They both get laid by mexicans.

OK, My daughter and I are white. My husband and son are hispanic. I wanted to laugh at her joke but I found it offensive. #1 it was a racist joke and #2 That joke came out of my 14yr old daughters mouth. I got up and started doing dishes while everyone else was having fun telling jokes. Have I reached an age where I now have a stick up my butt or am I right in being offended? No one else was offended and seemed OK with it.

I later went and asked her where she heard that joke and she said one of her cousins told it to her. I didn't make a big deal about it but I did tell her it was an offensive thing to say. Am I wrong? DH says it was funny and I shouldn't be offended. I guess I am just a stick in the mud :-(

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM
I think you handled it very well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM

haha I'm sorry but that is funny.... I almost spit my drink out

ETA:::: My sons dad is a Mexican and I didn't take it the wrong way

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I think it's funny. My mom married a mexican and my siblings are half mexican. I can understand you being upset over her age though, when it comes to the content of the joke.

QuirkyMom26
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I can't personally tell you how to feel.  You felt offended & that's okay.  If it happened here I would have laughed. I'm not very easily offended.

metalmomma86
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:13 AM
I would have laughed in your situation. I laugh at anything.

If it offended you, it offended you. Everyone reacts differently.

Were you more upset at the joke or the fact your daughter told it?
If your husband had told it to you when you and he were having a conversation, would it have upset you so much?
ShellLea
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:15 AM

You'd probably be really uncomfortable around my friends and family then. We are a very mixed group and the jokes are either based on race, religion, or yo momma. 

cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Well I laughed. Yeah it's inappropriate. But not horrible. I've heard much worse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Well at least most responding to your post are empathizing with you and not attacking you by saying your oversensitive.Some find it easier to relate to their same race in understanding how you felt about the joke.I wish people would have more compassion for all races when using sensitive jokes like these.

Everyone has a different perspective.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I would laugh. No you are not wrong. people feel differently about things. You reacted to it honestly. I don't think that makes you a stick in the mud. It was a joke that why I wouldn't be offended. If I was you and someone said it to me in a mean spirited way then I would be insulted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)