Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you lie about your birthday for free ice cream?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this

Yesterday my SS turned six! We took him to his favorite restaurant for lunch. We ordered, ate, and right before the waitress brought our check I asked if they did anything for birthdays. She said they gave the birthday kids a scoop of fried ice cream.

There was a table directly behind us (two women and four kids) that was incredibly obnoxious. The kids kept standing up on the booth and leaning over our table. They all bickered and argued the entire lunch. One of the kids kept screaming. It was just a rude mess.    

When the waitress left our table to get the ice cream and our check, one of the kids yelled that if it was their birthday they would get ice cream. The two women started going on saying they would say it was their birthday, so they would get free ice cream. The planned it all out. When the waitress came back to our table, one of the women said - "Oh! It's my birthday, too."  

You could tell that the waitress was skeptical, but she left to get her an ice cream. One of the kids started yelling, "It's not your birthday" and the women said, "If I say it's my birthday, we'll get free ice cream. If you tell on me, you can't have any."

The waitress brought back the scoop of ice cream, and the women started going on that it wasn't big enough for all six of them. The waitress told her that the ice cream was for the individual celebrating their birthday, but if they could always order a larger portion of ice cream as a dessert. The women started going on about how it was her birthday and the least they could do was give her enouch ice cream for everyone to share.  

DH and I left before the end of the conversation, so I don't know how it ended. I'm just curious, would you lie about your birthday (and encourage your children to go along with your lie) for a free dessert? Knowing that you lied about your birthday to get the dessert, would you continue to make a big deal that you didn't get enough?

Maybe it annoyed me more because they were already obnoxious as hell, but I just couldn't believe someone would lie about their birthday for a scoop of fried ice cream. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momcat437
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Not only lie, but try to scam the waitress for ice cream for everybody??  Talk about crass!  No, I wouldn't lie and I sure as hell wouldn't let my kids lie, either...

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
That's so trashy! Rude, entitled jerks.
bluesky51201
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
No I would not. I teach my children not to lie and that would defeat the purpose. It would show them that its okay to lie to get something you want. Dessert is not that expensive, and ice cream that's what like $3? Yeah not worth teaching my children to lie.
SJG1013
by SJG on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Mobile Photo

Jessicamarquez
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Nope (: whenever its my birthday I go to DD show my license and get my free coffee lol
couture-mommy
by She.Me.Her on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Lol.
No I wouldn't do that
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

AGREED!

Quoting Bethsunshine:

That's so trashy! Rude, entitled jerks.

Marimaru
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Nope, I wouldn't lie.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

no and that's a terrible thing to teach the kids...thats a damn shame.

Chanelz
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Nope. I would actually purchase some ice cream.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)