Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Marriage counseling. Should I bring him to the first session?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
I just made an appointment with a counselor that is in 2 hours. He deals with couples issues but the receptionist made it seem as if I should come to the first one on my own then the next one with him but its up to me. They won't have any other openings until the 15th. Not sure if I can wait that long to actually go with him. What was your experience like? Should I go first by myself and get how I'm feeling about the whole infidelity thing off my chest or should I just bring him now?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Bump
julainepw
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM
I would think by yourself first but you can bring him. It is likely that the session will be split and the therapist will talk to one person alone and then the other. The next session is more likely to be both of you together. The counselor needs to know where you are coming from and what your issues are first. At least that is what I believe will happen based on my experience with group type therapy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Things are really bad right now . I just don't know info can wait so long to be able to communicate with him. Talking to him is like talking to a brick

Quoting julainepw:

I would think by yourself first but you can bring him. It is likely that the session will be split and the therapist will talk to one person alone and then the other. The next session is more likely to be both of you together. The counselor needs to know where you are coming from and what your issues are first. At least that is what I believe will happen based on my experience with group type therapy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Bump
rgba
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I went by myself first, and it was nice to be able to express myself without him there the first time. Very cleansing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberleh
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM

My husband and I went to seperate counselors first to work through figuring out exactly what each of our OWN issues was before we went to couseling together. It helped us a ton.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN