Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Watch what you say on Facebook!!

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/news/teen-justin-carter-jailed-for-sarcastic-facebook-threat/story-fni0bzod-1226673667876?sv=6d5dd15a53a83a7347c25235d6064fb0#.UdQZ1Gzo2Ek.facebook

Teen Justin Carter jailed for sarcastic Facebook threat

19-year-old Justin Carter. Family photo. Source: news.com.au

A 19-year-old Texan is facing up to eight years in prison after making a sarcastic threat on Facebook.

Justin Carter was arguing about the video game League of Legends when he posted the distasteful Facebook comment.

"I'm f---ed in the head alright, I think I'ma (sic) shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of the innocent rain down and eat their still-beating hearts," he said.

Someone reported the comment to authorities, a search warrant was issued and Justin was arrested on February 14 - Valentine's Day. Bond was set at a high $500,000.

"He's very depressed. He's very scared and he's very concerned that he's not going to get out," Justin's father, Jack Carter, told CNN.

Justin could be charged with "making terroristic threats". He is being held in Comal County Jail, near San Antonio, Texas.

Justin's mother, Jennifer Carter, has posted a petition entitled "Release My Son Justin Carter - In Jail For a Facebook Comment" at Change.org .

"My son has been in jail for months because we can't afford to pay the half million dollar bail money," Mrs Carter said.

"Justin's a good kid. He wouldn't hurt anyone, let alone a child."

"The authorities' overreaction is ruining Justin's life. And it's setting a dangerous example trying to punish kids who often say strange things that I believe are protected under freedom of speech."

Jack Carter doesn't begrudge police the right to investigate threats of school violence. Justin's Facebook comment came just two months after 26 people, including 20 children, were murdered by a shooter at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown.

But Mr Carter says the need for vigilance doesn't excuse the treatment of his son.

"I definitely see the need to investigate such claims," Mr Carter said.

"But at some point during the investigation there has to be some common sense."

###

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
Mommy2ETnBM
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM
3 moms liked this

IMO he deserves to be there. What adult (I'm sorry, but 19 is adult to me) would even fathom saying something about killing children, in a public forum at that!? He is a freaking idiot and should sit there in that cell for a nice long while until he grows up some. 

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

what a sick and twisted thing to say regardless though wow..he seriously needs some psychiatric help

finnbar
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Well for goodness sake. I am sure he is scared and I am sure his parents miss him but come on. At nineteen using the term "teen" and acting like he was just some super immature 13 year old is simply enabling young ADULTS to keep acting like dummies.
That was a threatening statement. Don't make threats if you are not prepared to deal with the possible consequences
Country_Momma89
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM
6 moms liked this

Honestly, with all the shootings and everything, I think stuff like this should be taken seriously and he deserves what he gets. You have to be a prettty disturbed person to say something like that.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Especially given the recent events. They're not going to risk it NOT being a joke. He was arrested just two months after the Sandy Hook murders.

Quoting Mommy2ETnBM:

IMO he deserves to be there. What adult (I'm sorry, but 19 is adult to me) would even fathom saying something about killing children, in a public forum at that!? He is a freaking idiot and should sit there in that cell for a nice long while until he grows up some. 

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep! I agree 100%.

Quoting Mom2MikeynLando:

Who the hell even says or thinks anything like that?  I don't feel sorry for him, or his parents like the story seems to want us to feel.  Let him sit until he serves his time, or mom and dad can post his bail.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM

not that I ever said anything like this but Im glad social media and cell phones weren't around when I was this age!

momof2girls89
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I'm a big gamer and this has been all over my gaming websites. I think it is the most ridiculous thing ever and I feel bad for him. Should he have said it? No. But he doesn't deserve to have him life ruined over a stupid commen he made on FB. Especially since they searched his home and found NO firearms, explosives, or anything else that would suggest he was serious.

Miss-B
by ‚ô•Divalicious‚ô• on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I agree!! 

Quoting Mommy2ETnBM:

autodidact
by Snarknado on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM

no problem, I have no interest in making pschotic statements like that kid did. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)