Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Watch what you say on Facebook!!

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/news/teen-justin-carter-jailed-for-sarcastic-facebook-threat/story-fni0bzod-1226673667876?sv=6d5dd15a53a83a7347c25235d6064fb0#.UdQZ1Gzo2Ek.facebook

Teen Justin Carter jailed for sarcastic Facebook threat

19-year-old Justin Carter. Family photo. Source: news.com.au

A 19-year-old Texan is facing up to eight years in prison after making a sarcastic threat on Facebook.

Justin Carter was arguing about the video game League of Legends when he posted the distasteful Facebook comment.

"I'm f---ed in the head alright, I think I'ma (sic) shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of the innocent rain down and eat their still-beating hearts," he said.

Someone reported the comment to authorities, a search warrant was issued and Justin was arrested on February 14 - Valentine's Day. Bond was set at a high $500,000.

"He's very depressed. He's very scared and he's very concerned that he's not going to get out," Justin's father, Jack Carter, told CNN.

Justin could be charged with "making terroristic threats". He is being held in Comal County Jail, near San Antonio, Texas.

Justin's mother, Jennifer Carter, has posted a petition entitled "Release My Son Justin Carter - In Jail For a Facebook Comment" at Change.org .

"My son has been in jail for months because we can't afford to pay the half million dollar bail money," Mrs Carter said.

"Justin's a good kid. He wouldn't hurt anyone, let alone a child."

"The authorities' overreaction is ruining Justin's life. And it's setting a dangerous example trying to punish kids who often say strange things that I believe are protected under freedom of speech."

Jack Carter doesn't begrudge police the right to investigate threats of school violence. Justin's Facebook comment came just two months after 26 people, including 20 children, were murdered by a shooter at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown.

But Mr Carter says the need for vigilance doesn't excuse the treatment of his son.

"I definitely see the need to investigate such claims," Mr Carter said.

"But at some point during the investigation there has to be some common sense."

###

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Replies (21-30):
Miss_Mandy80
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Agree with you both. Killing anyone, especially a child, is NOTHING to joke about. 

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

Especially given the recent events. They're not going to risk it NOT being a joke. He was arrested just two months after the Sandy Hook murders.

Quoting Mommy2ETnBM:

IMO he deserves to be there. What adult (I'm sorry, but 19 is adult to me) would even fathom saying something about killing children, in a public forum at that!? He is a freaking idiot and should sit there in that cell for a nice long while until he grows up some. 

WalkingDeadlove
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM
I agree but it's also not something he should go to prison for 8 years over. It was a very bad joke but a joke non the less. He even followed with j/k and lol. I don't agree with what he posted at all but he's a teen who obviously didn't think about what he was saying. That doesn't make it a threat. It makes it a bad decision and hopefully a lesson learned. Taking 8 years for saying something stupid and hurtful isn't right.

Quoting Miss-B:

Killing kids isn't something to joke about.

Quoting WalkingDeadlove:

Just with that statement alone I could understand the reaction however if the entire conversation it makes it obvious that it was a sarcastic comment...tactless yes but not a threat at all.

His friend said...oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head. He was just sarcastically commenting back...it was a joke.

This country is really going to hell when we can't tell the difference between someone making a bad joke and an actual threat.

SKM1119
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I think in light of what has been going on in the past 10 years or so, you can't be to careful with "jokes" like this.  Yes there is freedom of speech.  But if a known terrorist were saying "I'm gonna blow up the Statue of Liberty, just kidding." Would we take that as freedom of speech. 

Miss-B
by ‚ô•Divalicious‚ô• on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM

They took it as a threat. I bet he learned his lesson.

Quoting WalkingDeadlove:

I agree but it's also not something he should go to prison for 8 years over. It was a very bad joke but a joke non the less. He even followed with j/k and lol. I don't agree with what he posted at all but he's a teen who obviously didn't think about what he was saying. That doesn't make it a threat. It makes it a bad decision and hopefully a lesson learned. Taking 8 years for saying something stupid and hurtful isn't right.

Quoting Miss-B:

Quoting WalkingDeadlove:

Just with that statement alone I could understand the reaction however if the entire conversation it makes it obvious that it was a sarcastic comment...tactless yes but not a threat at all.

His friend said...oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head. He was just sarcastically commenting back...it was a joke.

This country is really going to hell when we can't tell the difference between someone making a bad joke and an actual threat.

ausomezombie2.0
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Miss-B:

I'm with you.

Quoting Mom2MikeynLando:

Who the hell even says or thinks anything like that?  I don't feel sorry for him, or his parents like the story seems to want us to feel.  Let him sit until he serves his time, or mom and dad can post his bail.  

rfhsure
by beast mode on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I personally don't find this that surprising, not in my age group. People joke about dead babies, killing people, violent deaths. It's really mainstream now. Our culture is a lot more desensitized to violence than it was 50 years ago. Those jokes just aren't shocking like they used to be. It probably shouldn't be said online, but I don't automatically jump to the conclusion that this kid is sadistic by making the joke when it's completely put in context. 

WalkingDeadlove
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Sitting a jail for awhile to learn a lesson sure but them charging him with terrorist threats comes with an 8 year sentence. It was a very very bad joke that should never have been said but it was obviously not meant to be taken seriously.

Quoting Miss_Mandy80:

Agree with you both. Killing anyone, especially a child, is NOTHING to joke about. 

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

Especially given the recent events. They're not going to risk it NOT being a joke. He was arrested just two months after the Sandy Hook murders.

Quoting Mommy2ETnBM:

IMO he deserves to be there. What adult (I'm sorry, but 19 is adult to me) would even fathom saying something about killing children, in a public forum at that!? He is a freaking idiot and should sit there in that cell for a nice long while until he grows up some. 

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this

We wouldn't need the police at my house for that, I would beat my kids ass for talking nonsense like that.

supercarp
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I am glad he's in jail. I don't think people should think it's okay to say that kind of thing. There are too many crazies around and we have to stop them.

WalkingDeadlove
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
The fact that they took it as a threat is ridiculous and is almost as bad as what he said. If you read the entire conversation it's very clear to anyone with any common sense that he wasn't serious. Having a sick sense of humor isn't a crime.

Quoting Miss-B:

They took it as a threat. I bet he learned his lesson.

Quoting WalkingDeadlove:

Quoting Miss-B:

Quoting WalkingDeadlove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN