Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Watch what you say on Facebook!!

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/news/teen-justin-carter-jailed-for-sarcastic-facebook-threat/story-fni0bzod-1226673667876?sv=6d5dd15a53a83a7347c25235d6064fb0#.UdQZ1Gzo2Ek.facebook

Teen Justin Carter jailed for sarcastic Facebook threat

19-year-old Justin Carter. Family photo. Source: news.com.au

A 19-year-old Texan is facing up to eight years in prison after making a sarcastic threat on Facebook.

Justin Carter was arguing about the video game League of Legends when he posted the distasteful Facebook comment.

"I'm f---ed in the head alright, I think I'ma (sic) shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of the innocent rain down and eat their still-beating hearts," he said.

Someone reported the comment to authorities, a search warrant was issued and Justin was arrested on February 14 - Valentine's Day. Bond was set at a high $500,000.

"He's very depressed. He's very scared and he's very concerned that he's not going to get out," Justin's father, Jack Carter, told CNN.

Justin could be charged with "making terroristic threats". He is being held in Comal County Jail, near San Antonio, Texas.

Justin's mother, Jennifer Carter, has posted a petition entitled "Release My Son Justin Carter - In Jail For a Facebook Comment" at Change.org .

"My son has been in jail for months because we can't afford to pay the half million dollar bail money," Mrs Carter said.

"Justin's a good kid. He wouldn't hurt anyone, let alone a child."

"The authorities' overreaction is ruining Justin's life. And it's setting a dangerous example trying to punish kids who often say strange things that I believe are protected under freedom of speech."

Jack Carter doesn't begrudge police the right to investigate threats of school violence. Justin's Facebook comment came just two months after 26 people, including 20 children, were murdered by a shooter at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown.

But Mr Carter says the need for vigilance doesn't excuse the treatment of his son.

"I definitely see the need to investigate such claims," Mr Carter said.

"But at some point during the investigation there has to be some common sense."

###

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Replies (41-50):
ArisMom208
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Yea...he needs to be in jail. 

Sick in the head...Clearly. 

WalkingDeadlove
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Did you read the entire post from FB? It wasn't him just spouting that off and then saying j/k. It was part of a conversation where a friend joked that he was messed up in the head, the conversation started about a video game I believe. His response was in very bad taste but it clearly wasn't serious. I can't believe people this sending this young adult to prison for 8 years is justified over a poorly thought out response.

Quoting Anonymous:

So they really think him saying

Quote:

"I'm f---ed in the head alright, I think I'ma (sic) shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of the innocent rain down and eat their still-beating hearts," he said.

in this society is appropriate sarcasm. Anyone with common sense would know that could be seen as a  terroristic threat.  Common sense people, facebook is not a private diary to pour out all your secret thoughts and such. It is public. I do not feel sorry for him. My 12 year old knows better than such drivel.  You are responsible for what you put on facebook as much as not yelling fire in a crowded place when there is no fire.  

Could they be going overboard with punishment, maybe, maybe not, but with his facebook posts and such, I don't think this is some boy next door that never gets in trouble. Mommy and Daddy are trying to bail him out instead of him learning from this.  They need to let him learn and teach him that what he posted is WRONG and not "just free speech".

WalkingDeadlove
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM
It was under the comment that got him in trouble. He followed it with lol and j/k.

Quoting Miss-B:

Where did he put kidding? 

Quoting WalkingDeadlove:

The fact that they took it as a threat is ridiculous and is almost as bad as what he said. If you read the entire conversation it's very clear to anyone with any common sense that he wasn't serious. Having a sick sense of humor isn't a crime.

Miss-B
by ‚ô•Divalicious‚ô• on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I didn't see it. 

Quoting WalkingDeadlove:

It was under the comment that got him in trouble. He followed it with lol and j/k.

Quoting Miss-B:

Where did he put kidding? 

Quoting WalkingDeadlove:

The fact that they took it as a threat is ridiculous and is almost as bad as what he said. If you read the entire conversation it's very clear to anyone with any common sense that he wasn't serious. Having a sick sense of humor isn't a crime.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
But how do you distinguish sarcasm or a joke from seriousness over the Internet? You can't. You can't hear the tone or see the body language behind those words. If they had not acted And something DID happen everyone would be criticizing them for not doing something. Better to be safe than sorry.

Quoting WalkingDeadlove:Just with that statement alone I could understand the reaction however if the entire conversation it makes it obvious that it was a sarcastic comment...tactless yes but not a threat at all.

His friend said...oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head. He was just sarcastically commenting back...it was a joke.

This country is really going to hell when we can't tell the difference between someone making a bad joke and an actual threat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Too bad someone with money wouldn't have to learn that lesson. Of course our justice system isn't about fair punishment considering they knew a long time ago it wasn't a real threat.

Quoting Miss-B:

To not post such things on Facebook.

Quoting Anonymous:

The lesson that if his parents had money, he would have been out of jail months ago?

Quoting Miss-B:

They took it as a threat. I bet he learned his lesson.

WalkingDeadlove
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Have you read the entire FB conversation? He didn't just post that at random. It was part of a full conversation and obviously not serious. It should have been said but it was clearly not a threat or something he meant for anyone to take seriously.

Quoting neva_eva_always:

That's not an innocent comment and I hope they throw the book at him. Maybe in PRISON he'll get the help he needs. His father brushing off his comments tells us he won't do anything to help him.

WalkingDeadlove
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Again, have you read the entire post? You may not be able to see sarcasm but in that context it obvious.

Quoting Anonymous:

But how do you distinguish sarcasm or a joke from seriousness over the Internet? You can't. You can't hear the tone or see the body language behind those words. If they had not acted And something DID happen everyone would be criticizing them for not doing something. Better to be safe than sorry.

Quoting WalkingDeadlove:Just with that statement alone I could understand the reaction however if the entire conversation it makes it obvious that it was a sarcastic comment...tactless yes but not a threat at all.

His friend said...oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head. He was just sarcastically commenting back...it was a joke.

This country is really going to hell when we can't tell the difference between someone making a bad joke and an actual threat.

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I'm glad it was taken seriously. Maybe now he and others will think before they post.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM

This

Quoting Anonymous:

I will be expecting all those black people that have taken to twitter threatning white people to be arrested today then, because if you are arrested for threats then they all need to be thrown in jail as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)