Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i feel like she did it on purpose...

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 23 Replies
My brother's 14th birthday was last week and my mom decided to have everyone go out to dinner for his birthday (pay your own way) at 6:30. Well besides the money issue I wasn't going to make it on time. I normally don't get home til 6:15 after I pick up DS and the restaurant was another 30 minutes from my house. I told my mom I couldn't make it and apologized to my brother.

Well yesterday she tells me everyone is going out to dinner for her birthday tonight, again pay your own way and at 6:30. So again I had to tell her I couldn't make it because I don't get home in time. I feel like she did it on purpose to piss me off, why else would she have it at 6:30 knowing I couldn't go. 7 would have been fine and not to late for everyone. But nope, 6:30pm oh and pay your own way! I have a family of 4, even if we could make it I wouldn't be able to afford $40+ for Friday and $60+ for tonight. (Her dinner is at outback steakhouse) that's grocery money for the week! Ugh
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
petie1104
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Sounds like your mom might be a bit passive aggressive. Has she always been like this?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Trust me I get left out of alot of family functions because of money. And they wonder why I feel like a black sheep...

Anonandon
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe 6:30 worked best for the rest of the group. Why couldn't you just show up late? My dad does that all the time when we have dinners out, everyone understands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

If it were my mom, she'd offer to move the party back AND pay for our food and gas. It sounds like your mom is pretty inconsiderate. :(

Mommyof1_2013
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Maybe? I guess I've never paid that much attention. She can be a straight forward bitch sometimes and you'll know what's wrong. I guess she has done some passive aggressive things.

Quoting petie1104:

Sounds like your mom might be a bit passive aggressive. Has she always been like this?
chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM
These bday parties are not for little kids so of course you pay your own way. I don't think the timing is the real issue since you have a money issue. I don't see anything wrong with people paying for their own dinner at a restaurant for a teen or an adult. It really isn't a party....it's a bday dinner celebration.
rgba
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM
This. If other people get off work earlier, they may want to go straight from work.

Quoting Anonandon:

Maybe 6:30 worked best for the rest of the group. Why couldn't you just show up late? My dad does that all the time when we have dinners out, everyone understands.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Really? You should be paying for your mom's dinner if it's HER birthday.

Quoting nerdymom28:

If it were my mom, she'd offer to move the party back AND pay for our food and gas. It sounds like your mom is pretty inconsiderate. :(

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

If she's making the plans, then she gets to pick the time.  You can always take your brother and mother out on a different day or invite them to your house for cake.  I agree with the PP that said you could always be a little late.  Do you have an SO that could have watched the kids, so you could go?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM

7 is pretty late to GET to a restaurant....maybe you should just stop expecting everyone to work around your schedule!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)