Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mother pressuring us to baptize son

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

I was raised in a devoutly Christian family, and my mother is still very religious. My husband and I are agnostics, and do not plan on raising our son with any organized religious upbringing or faith.

My son is currently 5 weeks old, and she is pressuring me to book a church for the baptism. I have already told her, multiple times, flat out,that we're not having one. She actually openly said "well, you can't stop me from having it done" and that she'll "do her job to make sure her grandson doesn't go to Hell". I then told her that she shouldn't expect to ever be left alone with my son, then. 

Has anyone else ever dealt with this? Any advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smorgan865
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Tell her you'll let your son decide for himself when he's older.
newmom121812
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM
My mom or grandma did this well needless to say i dont talk to either one anymore(other reasons)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Wow.

That's a tough one. What would it really matter if she did baptize your son? I mean that doesn't obligate you to anything.

That being said-she really has no right to make it an issue like that. Do you have a history of power struggles with your mom? Perhaps if it is that big an issue for you, you may want to contact her church and just explicitly say: You do not have parental permission to baptize my son.

I know that is a really big deal in some religions.

Jessicamarquez
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Uhm ny mom pressured me to do it sooner so I'm not much help I have yet to get it done but I do plan on doing it bringing her to the catholic church and practice and once she choses if she foes or doesn't want to go I won't make her kwim in all reality religion is the persons choice at the end of the day
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

If it were me, I would threaten to sue her and the church if they got it done without parental permission. I had to say that to my in-laws to get them to drop it in regards to my kids. They also do not have any unsupervised visits with my kids.

jojo_star
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Yup, only for me, it's my sister in law. She claims she is Christian, but she's a terrible, terrible example of one. She has always pushed that I baptize my son as baptist, to 'save his soul from hell'. I'm Wiccan, DH is Christian, but not baptist, and he agrees, our children can choose their own religion when they decide to. None of our children are Christian. My children know about many faiths, including Christianity and Wicca, and the only one interested in any organized religion is my daughter, so I'm teaching her my path. My others are kind of agnostic. It drives sil crazy. We just ignore her. She can't do anything. 

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM
If you don't believe it, what harm would come from appeasing an elderly woman and giving her some peace?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quinnsmom715
by Donna on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM

my grandma did that to my mom..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Just do it and make mom happy.  My grandson is 8 he loves church.  Not the nursery but the sermon.  He is very well behaved.  Let mom take him to church once in a while.  What harm is there in that?  Or does he have to be agnostic too?

FaithHopeLove4
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM

tell her this should be his choice when he is old enough to make that decision, period....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)