Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We never go on dates because we can't trust anyone with the kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
My family lives far away and my husband and I hate his family (its a long story) so they don't see the kids. We have a third on the way and I feel like I would be happy just to have two dates a year. My kids are 6 and 1. I have no friends and my husbands friends are all single guys. We don't have anyone we trust and don't want to just hire someone we don't know and trust them with our kids. It sucks because sometimes we want to take the oldest to the movies but our son is too young so my husband and I take turns staying home with him. I haven't seen a movie with hubby in 3 years and haven't went out to dinner alone with him in about 2 years. What do you do to keep the spark when there is no sitter?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly, DH and I have plenty of family but don't go out on many dates as it is anyway. We really just enjoy renting a movie and having alone time when the kids are in bed. We make the best of that quiet.

Smcclellan7080
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM

We just take our son with us. He is 5 and has been going to the movies with us since he was 1 week old. Last one was Fast and Furious 6. He LOVED it. We all did.

garnet83
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Can't relate. I call my mom and tell her she and Dad need to take the kids so Dh and I can breathe for an evening and they're all over it.

Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Time to make some friends with other moms. Is there a reason you choose to not make friends?
Firewoman33
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Why can't you start interviewing sitters? Get a recommendation form a co-worker, friend, church care.com...

Run a background check, have them sit a few times with you home, then just a short time while you are away and see how it goes. 

Otherwise, what I try to do is occasionally put the kids to bed early. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM
There comes a time in your life where you're going to have to trust and in your case you need to start interviewing and spending time with sitters. Your marriage is going to suffer if you don't take time to spend with each other.
Firewoman33
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

That's a little harsh. I know I tried really hard to make friends in my community and it just hasn't worked. If you aren't from here, a certain religion and have 4+ kids you just don't fit in. 

Perhaps op has had similar issues. Especially since she is having a hard time finding time away. 

Quoting Snakecharm:

Time to make some friends with other moms. Is there a reason you choose to not make friends?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM
I have a few friends but they are all back in my hometown. I don't relate well to most women and have a hard time making friends. I've always kinda kept to myself and just liked to hang out with the kids and hubby. I also have no opportunity to meet people if I wanted friends. I don't drive because we only have one vehicle which my husband needs for work and he travels far.

Quoting Snakecharm:

Islandmom2boys
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM
This.

We are happy with date nights at home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, DH and I have plenty of family but don't go out on many dates as it is anyway. We really just enjoy renting a movie and having alone time when the kids are in bed. We make the best of that quiet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM
I guess I just didn't know where to start looking. I could try care.com. But I don't know anyone here and I don't work so I've had a hard time thinking of ways to find sitters. But thanks for suggesting care. Com I remember seeing that advertised

Quoting Firewoman33:

Why can't you start interviewing sitters? Get a recommendation form a co-worker, friend, church care.com...

Run a background check, have them sit a few times with you home, then just a short time while you are away and see how it goes. 

Otherwise, what I try to do is occasionally put the kids to bed early. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN