Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I got married at 17, everyone said we would fail, they were right....

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 181 Replies
15 moms liked this

Kind of. We have failed, A LOT. The road hasn't been easy, but it has been worth it. This Jan we have been together 10 years, and today is our 9th Wedding Anniversary :) We have two beautiful daughters and a baby (hopefully a boy) on the way!

***EDIT*** I've seen some snarky comments on how much "help" we or others got because we married young as well as questions about PA. First of all I think PA is great for people who need a helping hand. Fortunately for us, we have not needed it, nor needed help from family members.

I graduated H.S. at 16yrs old and was already in college when I met my husband. My husband was graduated, he was 17 when we met. I had also graduated H.S. with my CNA license and was working on the maternity floor at a local hospital making $14 hr. w/ full benefits, which was pretty good money for a 16yr old girl. My husband was working at a local granite company making $10 hr. which again wasn't bad for a 17yr old. 

I did have a big fairytail wedding thanks to my mom, but that is as far as the help went. By the time we had our first daughter my husband was making enough money for me to stop working and stay at home. After our second was a year old I went back to work. 

Not that it matters, but we also weren't going out kind of people. The first time we spent a night away from our daughters was for our 5th wedding anniversary at which point our oldest was four. So we didn't even have "help" watching our children.

My point is that although we were young, we didn't depend on the government or others to support us. 

7/3/04

2013 ( I know we look a hot mess, this was taken after spending all day at universal lol)

Our girls <3

EDIT**I love hearing marriage success stories, so PLEASE post how long you've been married, how many kids you have, pictures! With divorce such an easy option, and the rates so high, it's inspiring to hear of marriages that not only last, but are happy despite the bumps in the road.

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_Natural
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats! I got married at 17 as well (my husband was 23). We have been married for 6 years now and we have two children. We are still very happily married. Marrying young is usually a bad idea, but sometimes it works! :)
Amy_M
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM

My husband and I werent that young, but I was 21.  We got engaged only 2 months after meeting and married 9 months after meeting.  No one thought we would make it past a year....We will celebrate our 9 year wedding anniversary in August.

So a big poo poo to all those who thought we wouldnt make it.

thatgirlNH
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Well congrats on making it work this far ... and beyond! :)
Your daughters are beautiful!

Gardeningmom4
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM
3 moms liked this

I got married at 22 and my sister said she didn't give our marriage 2 years well we have been married for 17 yrs.

theosgirl45
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Congrats!  Marriage isn't easy for sure.  I got married at 18 and DH was 17 we have been together 6 years and married 5 and a half.  Its not for everyone but we are doing just fine.  5 couples got married my senior year(when we got married) and sadly only Dh/I and one other couple are still married.

In vain he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

mommieof3_752
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I was 15 and DH was 17 when we got married. Everyone said the same thing about us. He graduated before our 1st baby was born. He went to work on an oil rig and got us a house in TX. He has been amazing. We now have 3 kids and have been together 9 yrs and married 8.

I have no regrets. We are still in love and very happy.

Congrats to you guys and I wish you all the best!!

FaithHopeLove4
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM

beautiful family, i married my DH at 18, just celebrated our 9th year in feb , been together for 12 years.....

BamaMomto4
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM
4 moms liked this

I got married when I was 17. Our wedding was 3 days before dh's 24th birthday. We will celebrate our 34th anniversary in October.

KylesWifey
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I love how one girl totally takes after you and the other after your dh!!! Too cute!!!

Miss-B
by ‚ô•Divalicious‚ô• on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Congratulations.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)