Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dear birth moms -a letter from a grateful father-

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM
  • 418 Replies
20 moms liked this

Dear moms,

I am writing to thank you, the mothers of our three adopted children (if you happen to be reading this). This is the 40th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving your child a chance at life and for giving a childless family a chance to have children. You went against the strongest cultural pressures to see your pregnancy to full term, and the even stronger pressure by putting your child up for adoption when you knew that you couldn’t give him or her the best chance at life. Ellen and I are eternally thankful for the blessings you gave us.

Abortion, when I think about it, horrifies me – the millions of unborn babies who were killed in the past 40 years – that these were innocent children who could not speak for themselves – the countless numbers of women who carry with them terrible hurt and guilt of having succumbed to Planned Parenthood’s push to terminate their pregnancies. What does it say about about the civility of our nation, and about Anglican Christians who promise at our baptism to “respect the dignity of every human being?” I learned today that, 40 years after abortions were made legal, roughly half of the pregnancies in the U.S are unplanned, and of those: 4 in 10 are still aborted.

But, instead of being angry and feeling compelled to demonstrate my anger and grief at the terrible injustice of 40 years of killings, I don’t feel that today. I am thankful to three gutsy and strong women who have blessed our family at great personal cost. If you are reading this I want you to know that you are not forgotten. We were not even close to being the perfect family and our children are not perfect either. But we have struggled together and we are very proud of what they have done so far in their lives. Noel is in seminary studying for the ministry, Alison is a great mom to our wonderful five-year-old grandson, and Andrew is playing professional soccer in Nepal with the sponsorship of a Christian organization. (And, not to leave her out, our “surprise” birth-child, Hope, is a fabulous mom to our second grandson, a seven-month-old handsome boy.)

On this infamous anniversary when people are demonstrating on both sides, when those who have had abortions are mindful of their decisions and perhaps are in pain and grief, when you might be wondering if you did the right thing, please know that two parents in Texas are overwhelmed with gratitude for the love you showed your children and us. Ellen and I are

Eternally grateful,

Chuck
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeyEinstein
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM
12 moms liked this
Succumb to Planned Patebthood? What a moron.
He has no idea what he is talking about.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM
5 moms liked this

Woah so rude.

Quoting HeyEinstein:

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM
46 moms liked this
And to all those women that exercised their legal right to make the best choice for their lives and their bodies despite all the judgement from those that want to take the choice away from them! Cheers!

Thank you to all the women that were activists and on the front lines to ensure that women didn't have to die from back alley abortions or have children that they could not provide for while the fathers waltzed away in many cases no worse for wear. We DO appreciate. You are not forgotten.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
7 moms liked this

The decision to place a child for adoption is usually to parent vs adoption NOT abortion vs adoption. Honestly, I didn't even read most of that letter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Aww that's sweet
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM
2 moms liked this

This isn't a let's bash pro choice people letter, this is simply 1 man expressing gratitude for the choice these women made.

Quoting AnHpuresugar:

And to all those women that exercised their legal right to make the best choice for their lives and their bodies despite all the judgement from those that want to take the choice away from them! Cheers!

Thank you to all the women that were activists and on the front lines to ensure that women didn't have to die from back alley abortions or have children that they could not provide for while the fathers waltzed away in many cases no worse for wear. We DO appreciate. You are not forgotten.

HeyEinstein
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM
5 moms liked this
Not rude. Honest.

It's obvious how ignorant he is.

Of course "he "might just be some right wing propaganda.

Thank you Internet for being a driving force in the misinformation age.

Quoting lovemymini:

Woah so rude.

Quoting HeyEinstein:

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM
4 moms liked this
Clearly he has no clue what the majority of women are thinking when having an abortion
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM
He is very sweet.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Yes, but not always. In regards to this letter each bio mom had numerous abortions before choosing to give a baby up for adoption.

Quoting Anonymous:

The decision to place a child for adoption is usually to parent vs adoption NOT abortion vs adoption. Honestly, I didn't even read most of that letter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured