Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O...When you host a cookout, do you micromanage what people put on their plates?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:32 AM
  • 233 Replies
7 moms liked this
I seriously never knew this was such a big issue. We just make what we make and let people go at it. When something is gone, it's gone. Certain foods aren't designated to certain people.

Of course, the people I know aren't jerks. If we have steak, it is rare for someone to eat an entire one to themselves, maybe a few of the men. Most people will eat half or less and maybe have a hot dog or something. We are "a little bit of everything" people. If kids want steak, I often see parents just give them a small portion of their own. No big deal.

I thought this was normal?
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:35 AM
1 mom liked this

shrugs... I do not suffer from OCD so I am usually too busy to notice LOL

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I would never tell someone what they can and cannot have to eat. Our 2 yr old eats from our plate often. It's just easier and minimizes the mess he makes. But not our older daughter.

Anonandon
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:35 AM
5 moms liked this
We're like you. I never knew there was such a great division of food at get togethers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:36 AM
2 moms liked this

The only issue I have is wasteful people usually kids but some adults.  You know where they load up their plate and then leave it. Pisses me off. I always just say something like you want to come make your kids plates, that way they aren't taking to much to eat and wasting it.  I've never had anyone make a fuss or anything. And the waste is minimal.

we usually do burgers, hotdogs, chicken or steak. We just ask what each person wants so we have enough

AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:36 AM
4 moms liked this
That's all I could think when reading those posts. When I host a cookout I just make food. Get what you want, I don't care what your age or anything else is. Fucking, as long as you eat it. Good lord folks its not that serious. What happens if we *gasp* run out of steaks and some adults haven't gotten them? Well I guess they'll have to eat something else and come up to get their food earlier next time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Poor, poor dead horse.

RIP

TrouserMouse
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:43 AM
I don't like waste either, but I realize it happens sometimes. Like when you get something on your plate you typically like and it isn't good...Lol. You just never know what to expect from someone else's cooking.

Most parents are good about not allowing their kids to go overboard, especially on the pricey stuff.

Quoting Anonymous:

The only issue I have is wasteful people usually kids but some adults.  You know where they load up their plate and then leave it. Pisses me off. I always just say something like you want to come make your kids plates, that way they aren't taking to much to eat and wasting it.  I've never had anyone make a fuss or anything. And the waste is minimal.

we usually do burgers, hotdogs, chicken or steak. We just ask what each person wants so we have enough

KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:45 AM
I never notice what people put on their plates nor do I care at all.
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:49 AM
I've never done buffet style meals. I've always served my guests, but they dictate what is put on their plate. If we have BBQs, my s/o serves them their meats and I serve the sides.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:52 AM
4 moms liked this

Yes, we "micromanage" when it comes to steaks.  If I invite just my kids and their families, we are talking 6 adults and 1 child that will certainly eat a whole steak.  When they're $10-$12 each, that is $70+ just for steaks, not including sides.  DD and 3 grandkids (because 1 is only 4 months old so he doesn't eat anything yet) will either get chicken or hot dogs.  

My stepdaughter pulled this on me ONCE.  I told her that we were getting steaks for me, DH, OS, his GF, her, her DH, and YS.  I said chicken or hot dogs for your kids because DD wants chicken?  She said hot dogs for the grandkids.    

There were 7 steaks and 2 good sized chicken breasts, along with a package of hotdogs fixed.  I laid everything out and told SD to come fix the kids plates, not paying a bit of attention.  DH and I ALWAYS fix our plates last.  The kids got their plates and when DH and I went to get ours, there was ONE steak and all the hotdogs, even the extra piece of chicken gone.  

What the hell?  SD cut up one of the steaks and the extra piece of chicken for her 3 kids because they decided they didn't want hotdogs.  Well I for damn sure am not going to tell my hard working DH, the one that worked his ass off to pay for the damned food that he wasn't getting the last steak...

But DH lit into his daughter and told her that those kids better eat every bite of the steak and chicken since I was going WITHOUT ANY FOOD because I can't eat hotdogs!!!  Her own DH lit into her about it because he knows his kids wouldn't eat it all and told them and her that it didn't matter if they sat there all night, they would eat it all or they would have it for ALL of their meals until it was gone!  

Thanks to this incident though, we do not invite stepdaughter and family over when we have steaks.  If they're invited to a cookout, hamburgers and hotdogs it is!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)