Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When you were a kid?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:40 AM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this
What are some things that went on in your life or home when you were a kid and now would never even dream of allowing your kids to do? Such as having free reign of the neighborhood all day long. When I was a kid I was allowed to take my bike and ride around my hood for hours on end and it was no big deal, im talking like 8, 9, 10. I wouldn't let mg kids do that but it was the norm back then.. What do you guys got?

Just thought of another one worth sharing and also kinda curious if anyone else did this too. Around 11,12 my best friends(who are still my best friends, family really) and I would go out after dark walking the neighborhood with the sole purpose of watching for headlights to come our way so we could run as fast as we could to hide from them. We wouldn't have been in trouble because that's the kind of place we lived, very country, it was just for the thrill of it. I have too many scars from doing.that. It was great fun though.
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Riding in a car with no seatbelt is about the only thing I did that I won't allow my kids to do.

My kids DO have free reign of the town where we live.  We just tell the, a time to be home and they are off around town all day with friends or alone.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:45 AM

Yeah.

DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:45 AM

My best friend (a boy) and I used to romp around the woods.  We were 11 and we would hike MILES sometimes.  We'd tromp through the woods to a creek/watering hole and swim.  I can't even fathom letting my child just run off into the woods for hours on end.  

crumpy_gat
by No. on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:48 AM
Exactly what you said
Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:51 AM

I used to ride on the open tail gate of my uncle's truck, run all over the place, sneak out at night to just randomly sit in the driveway, walk up to the gas station across the busy road. Most of those weren't until I was 11 or 12.

CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
horseap
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:51 AM

We live in a place that doesnt really exist anymore so my kids do get to roam the neighborhood. Something I did that I wouldnt let them do would be ride without carseats. 

candyrow
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:52 AM
I used to climb out of my bedroom window in the middle of the night. My parents didn't know so I suppose that doesn't count. Lol fuck me now I'm scared mine get the same idea. They're only little so I have plenty of time to put the bars upon their window.
Barefootbrats
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:56 AM
I would ride on tailgates too. It was so much fun but I will never tell my kids that. Seems so dangerous in hindsight.

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

I used to ride on the open tail gate of my uncle's truck, run all over the place, sneak out at night to just randomly sit in the driveway, walk up to the gas station across the busy road. Most of those weren't until I was 11 or 12.

Barefootbrats
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:59 AM
I think all kids do this at some point. So it's probably inevitable. Scary. Oh the danger we put ourselves in to and didn't even know it.

Quoting candyrow:

I used to climb out of my bedroom window in the middle of the night. My parents didn't know so I suppose that doesn't count. Lol fuck me now I'm scared mine get the same idea. They're only little so I have plenty of time to put the bars upon their window.

Barefootbrats
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:00 AM
Doesn't exist? You gotta explain that one.

Quoting horseap:

We live in a place that doesnt really exist anymore so my kids do get to roam the neighborhood. Something I did that I wouldnt let them do would be ride without carseats. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)