Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what's the difference between

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
A waterbirth at a freestanding birth center and a waterbirth at a hospital?

I'm trying to decide between care from a midwife at birth center or care from a midwife at a hospital, but I don't know what the difference in care will be. Can anyone recommend either for me?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notgivinguphope
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:31 AM

i think at a birth cente the set up is more homely, like a normal bed etc.. but again i dont know just wanted to be first replier bump! lol

TrouserMouse
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Freestanding birth centers often let you check out early if you just want to be home in your own bed. The one here will let you check out 4 hours after delivery if everyone is doing well.
Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:44 AM
I was wondering the same thing. My doctor is amazing, but for my last baby, I want you try water birth. I don't want to tell him and break his heart. He's such a sweetie!
Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:48 AM
My hospital had a tub for laboring but they wouldn't allow you to give birth in the tub. Maybe you should talk to the hospital and the birthing center about the process.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:49 AM

A hospital is more likely  to make you conform to THEIR standards, where a birth center is all about YOUR birth...a hospital isn't about YOUR birth experience...it's about the dr who wants to hurry you up with dilation so you'll deliver faster and he can go home...

KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:50 AM
I don't know a lot about birth centers but I know at a hospital there is no guarantee you can have a water birth. Also most hospitals I know of have tubs where you can sit in the water during contractions but I don't know if I've ever heard of a hospital that allows you to give birth in one.
redbutterfly666
by Emerald Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:54 AM
I have no idea,i want a water birth next time also,so here's a bump
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:58 AM

i don't know about a birth center, but i had a water birth at a hospital. it was a compromise between dh and i. he was super paranoid about birth going wrong, and wanted to make sure we were at a hospital, but i wanted to go natural, so he researched and found the only doctor in town willing to do it.

it was an incredible experience. the doctor was very laid back, very calming, and had no issues with our wishes. he sat and answered all of our questions, and acted like he had all the time in the world for us. he had no problem with our plan, which included one of us catching the baby, and sitting and waiting until the cord stopped pulsing before cutting it.

from what i've observed, it's all about the doctor. i've heard of women going to birth centers, and being tossed on a bed in a room full of other laboring women, and essentially forgotten. but i've also heard good stories. there are no birth centers in my city, and like i said, dh didn't want to do a home birth, so that's what we did. you can pm me if you have other questions.

Let the sisters take care of themselves, and make themselves beautiful, and if any of you are so superstitious and ignorant as to say that this is pride, I can say that you are not informed as to the pride which is sinful before the Lord. You are also ignorant as to the excellency of the heavens and the beauty which dwells in the society of the Gods. Were you to see an angel, you would see a beautiful and lovely creature. Make yourselves like angels in goodness and beauty. ~Brigham Young
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:59 AM
i feel the same way you do :) I've had two previous pregnancies and had the same doctor for both the prenatal care and delieveries, and I love her dearly. We have grown a very good friendship over the course of the last five years, but I really want a waterbirth and the hospital she works at doesn't allow them. So I will have to drive either 25 mins away to the nearest hospital that does allow them or 45-50 mins away to the birth center. I am also sad to switch to a new care provider but its worth it. I think you should go for it, especially if this is your last baby!!!
Everyone ive heard from that had a waterbirth had such a positive experience and highly reccomends it :)

quote name="Ultra_" id="0"]I was wondering the same thing. My doctor is amazing, but for my last baby, I want you try water birth. I don't want to tell him and break his heart. He's such a sweetie![/quote]
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:03 AM
Lol, what's wrong with the 70's

Hospital births on their uncomfortable beds is no party either. I've had two of them and both were terrible.

Quoting AnonymousCM:

waterbirth?  how.....70's of you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)