Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Its rude to show up empty handed

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Where do you live and is it proper etiquette there to always bring something to a BBQ or dinner party? Here its rude to show up empty handed to bbqs, dinner parties, or even holiday dinners. The rule to follow is if its not the type of party you bring a gift (birthday, graduation, shower etc) then its customary to bring a bottle of wine, a dessert, fruit etc....

I'm on Long Island NY.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
embrigmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I don't know that it's a rule of proper etiquette to bring something but we always do. My MIL will also bring something to birthday parties (unless it's somewhere you can't bring in outside food). Dh and I always bring some type of dessert or fruit.

We live in the Buffalo area.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I've heard that its not the norm in some areas. In the BBQ post someone said that if they were expected to bring something they might as well stay home and make their own food. Shrug

Quoting Syphon:

Yes of course it's rude.  It's rude anywhere to show up to a bbq/party empty handed.  Has nothing to do with location

missmamaof4
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM

its not really rude where i live. Everyone usally brings their own beer though. We all just take turns throwing bbqs and dinner parties

A_McCool
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM

We always ask if they want us to bring something.  If they say no, we don't bring anything.  

JulesFairy
I always ask and my friends all ask when i am hosting but sometimes the host has it under control. If I ask and she says nothing I say ok and let it go.
boysrjoys2
I'm from MO and its common to bring a side dish to a get together. A friend of mine is from England and her mother and I were talking a few years back. She said its an insult there to bring food, bit common to bring wine as a gift.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Well cute babies are edible

Quoting Ninjabubble:

We ask but they always say "just bring that beautiful baby of yours!"
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Quoting Syphon:

Yes of course it's rude.  It's rude anywhere to show up to a bbq/party empty handed.  Has nothing to do with location

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReeseStrickland
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM

It's one of those situations where it's rude not to bring something and just as rude to make a guest feel unwelcome or point out the slight if they're unaware of what is expected.  As many kids would says "It's noooot faiiiiiiirrrrrr!"

vvinkyloafer
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I never go. This is usually why.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN