Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Its rude to show up empty handed

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Where do you live and is it proper etiquette there to always bring something to a BBQ or dinner party? Here its rude to show up empty handed to bbqs, dinner parties, or even holiday dinners. The rule to follow is if its not the type of party you bring a gift (birthday, graduation, shower etc) then its customary to bring a bottle of wine, a dessert, fruit etc....

I'm on Long Island NY.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Replies (31-40):
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Unless it's known to be a pot luck, I call the host and ask them if there is anything they need me to bring.

CafeMom Tickers
Kitschy
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

It doesn't matter where you live and has nothing to do with BBQs. When someone invites you to their home for a meal you bring a gift.

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I think it is

momto3infl
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM

If a pot luck event sure we bring something-otherwise we dont when it come to food.  Of course if invited to a party for showers, etc yes bring a gift.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Quoting Zacksmama82411:

I always ask and if they say "don't worry about it" I'll bring a bottle of wine, or some sort of platter, just out of respect... When I'm hosting, I am no longer shy about it (I used to say don't worry about it, until I had a party and everyone brought something, it was so much easier!) Now I only make the "main course" for cook outs, or parties, and people bring the sides, etc.

i find it rude for you to expect others to provide for your party, cookout ect.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Yes it is rude, I'm in San Diego, Ca.
Although I don't think it's so much demographic and more social/cultural.
LOVEZOEY
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Usually people will let you know to bring some something. Otherwise, they usually make sure the food they is enough. For Holidays I will bring a desert... again that's all in the plan though.

Zacksmama82411
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

haha that's why it's called a POTLUCK. If you don't want to bring something, then don't. It's the way our family is. Someone always brings something to ease the burden on others...

We're also very close. I don't have parties w/ people I don't know... If I don't spend that much time w/ you, then you're not invited (DS is only 2, so we haven't had "real" birthdays for him yet, so this will change when it's his time for a school party and what not...)  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

I always ask and if they say "don't worry about it" I'll bring a bottle of wine, or some sort of platter, just out of respect... When I'm hosting, I am no longer shy about it (I used to say don't worry about it, until I had a party and everyone brought something, it was so much easier!) Now I only make the "main course" for cook outs, or parties, and people bring the sides, etc.

Syphon
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Totally uneducated thing to say.  Of couse hostess does not EXPECT others to provide for the party.  That was not the question though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I find it rude that you think you should enjoy my food and festivities without contributing anything... Because you're entitled?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)