Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Its rude to show up empty handed

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Where do you live and is it proper etiquette there to always bring something to a BBQ or dinner party? Here its rude to show up empty handed to bbqs, dinner parties, or even holiday dinners. The rule to follow is if its not the type of party you bring a gift (birthday, graduation, shower etc) then its customary to bring a bottle of wine, a dessert, fruit etc....

I'm on Long Island NY.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Replies (41-50):
LuvingMy3Girls
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Yes you should always bring something
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sdbrowneyez
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM
We always bring something even if it is just soda or something. When my kids go to their friends' house I send snacks as well. Where we live (Japan) it's a huge part of the culture but its something I will continue when we move back to the states. But if I invite someone over and they don't bring anything it doesn't bother me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

if I'm invited then I shouldn't have to not be expected to contribute. You sound like someone no one ever bothers to visit anyway.
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I feel bad if I don't bring something. I'm taking a dessert to the bbq we're going to.

Benjamins-mama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM

we ask if we need to bring anything.  usually we get told a bag of chips or a soft drink

_jcls_
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I ask but they always say just yourselves. So I usually help clean up and wash dishes. This time i'm bringing the fireworks but I still asked what else they needed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I'm sorry, what? Do they not teach English in the ghetto?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

if I'm invited then I shouldn't have to not be expected to contribute. You sound like someone no one ever bothers to visit anyway.
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Around here, we tell each other what to bring. If you are not told to bring something specific, then you aren't expected to bring anything. 

For instance, I am always asked to bring potato salad ... they love it. My bff used to ask me to bring slaw, but her youngest cannot have milk and I haven't figured out how to make it without creamy dressing and it taste the same. 

My sister will tell you flat out ... DO NOT BRING ANYTHING BUT YOURSELF. 

brysonsmommy_10
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I think it is rude to show up without bringing something.  I will usually ask whoever is hosting what they would prefer I bring (dessert, side dish, drinks, plates/cups).  If they tell me not bring anything then I will ask if they need help setting up.

My dad and stepmom have a dinner every Sunday and I always make a dessert. Her three kids (ages 20-23) live there and only one of them ever asks if they need to bring anything, but they all invite lots of friends over or fix plates to take to their friends.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

oh aren't you just a special type of trailer trash.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN