Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this the norm for parties now

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My daughter went to a birthday party at a pizza place yesterday. It was one of those buffet type places.  I drop her off, talk to the mom, and run across the street to get a few things at the grocery store.  Then my dd calls.  She needs money. Apparently this is a pay your own way birthday party....

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Replies (71-77):
tinakinakins
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Was that made apparent on any invitations? Did the mother inform you that it was a pay-your-way birthday party? That is so tacky. 

Here, come to my DD's birthday party, but you're paying for yourself. Really odd. Not the norm here where I live.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Most of the pizza places like that have party packages that include food, drinks, and a given number of tokens for each child.  We did this for the daughter of a friend of ours a few years back.  You have to pay for the package before the party.  So either the host of the party didn't buy a package and expected each child to pay their own way, or they did buy a package and were expecting to be reimbursed by their guests.  Either way, tacky, tacky, tacky. 

Quoting NewInChrist:

Imho op was tacky for not sending money with her dd anyways, if I sent my kid to a bday party at a pizza place I would at the very least send money to eat and a little bit for tokens. No way would I expect the host to provide the tokens for my kid to play... different strokes for different folks I guess...

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Honestly, if there's no other way to do it at that place then I think choosing that venue is tacky. I still don't see why the host couldn't pay. There's not excuse for inviting people to a party and expecting them to pay. 

Quoting NewInChrist:

Only if they know exactly how many people there will be and the names so they can put them on a list. Op may have not rsvp'd which would explain it... my brother is far from tacky and every birthday party we've gone to for his kids we have had to pay for our own meal simply because there's no real way to pay for everyone ahead of time and you have to pay before you go in.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting NewInChrist:

Here it's actually common. Mr Gattis is a pizza/game place here and when you book a party it doesn't include the cost of everyone's meals. It's not that they can't afford it, it's that the place didn't have it set up like you'd think...

But still, doesn't the host pay for the guests? 

mommieof3_752
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM

OMGoodness. I would never invite children to my kids birthday parties and make them pay for themselves. We have had each of my 3 kids birthdays at pizza/arcade type places at least 2 times each. We even pay for extra tokens (beside what they get with the party pack) when the children ask...

I wouldn't even bother having a big party....definitely wouldn't invite more kids then I could afford 

NewInChrist
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Or the op didn't RSVP and they didn't expect her to show and the limit for the party package was up...

Quoting Diamepphyre:

Most of the pizza places like that have party packages that include food, drinks, and a given number of tokens for each child.  We did this for the daughter of a friend of ours a few years back.  You have to pay for the package before the party.  So either the host of the party didn't buy a package and expected each child to pay their own way, or they did buy a package and were expecting to be reimbursed by their guests.  Either way, tacky, tacky, tacky. 

Quoting NewInChrist:

Imho op was tacky for not sending money with her dd anyways, if I sent my kid to a bday party at a pizza place I would at the very least send money to eat and a little bit for tokens. No way would I expect the host to provide the tokens for my kid to play... different strokes for different folks I guess...

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Honestly, if there's no other way to do it at that place then I think choosing that venue is tacky. I still don't see why the host couldn't pay. There's not excuse for inviting people to a party and expecting them to pay. 

Quoting NewInChrist:

Only if they know exactly how many people there will be and the names so they can put them on a list. Op may have not rsvp'd which would explain it... my brother is far from tacky and every birthday party we've gone to for his kids we have had to pay for our own meal simply because there's no real way to pay for everyone ahead of time and you have to pay before you go in.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting NewInChrist:

Here it's actually common. Mr Gattis is a pizza/game place here and when you book a party it doesn't include the cost of everyone's meals. It's not that they can't afford it, it's that the place didn't have it set up like you'd think...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Then everyone you know are tacky people and NOT legitimately hosting a party. I would never allow my children to attend a party where they have to pay for their own "Party food and entertainment".

Quoting NewInChrist:

Maybe it's different where I'm from... idk but I've never been to a bday party at a pizza place or amusement park where you don't pay for yourself.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Wow

I'm not sure what the point is of hosting a party if you expect the guests to pay for their food or activities. That sounds more like a play date to me. I've never heard of anything like that. I don't think OP was at all tacky. 

Quoting NewInChrist:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting NewInChrist:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting NewInChrist:

sallymaggie
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Agree!

Quoting JulyBabies:

If you can't afford to host the party, don't have one. If you need to make guests pay, it's definitely time to go back to simple cake and ice cream and pin the tail on the donkey at your house and forget having a kids birthday party at a venue. 

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Oh, my! My kid would not be attending. At the very least tell me BEFORE I drop my kid off, like in the damned invitation smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN