Update: I took poor little doggie, well not so little, to the vet this morning. It's in fact, kennel cough. He was prescribed an antibiotic and two cough medicines to help him out. He was, very literally, up ALL last night coughing last night. I felt so bad for him. I stayed up all night with him, too because I couldn't sleep through it and wanted to at least watch him and try and keep him comfortable and give him ice to help ease his throat.
The vet was very, very good about making sure that no other animals were infected during our visit, I was HIGHLY impressed with them. My parents asked that I take my dog to a spay/neuter clinic when he was fixed because they spoke very highly of one of the veterinarian's there and how well of a client base she had. Good for her but NEVER again will I ever allow my dog there again, simply because it's also a humane society but the clinic is far separated from it but still....either way, never again. My personal veterinarian was obviously not too happy about my decision and I knew I should have followed my gut to tell my parents no and just had my vet do it. Either way, she was very good about disinfecting every inch of where he and I walked, had me have him on a very short leash, had me walk him specifically in certain places, didn't come into the room, had all the sprays/disinfectants ready to go and bags to place them in, outside of the room to go and have them disinfected. Bleach mop that she stepped on and wiped her feet on a clean towel outside of the room, hand-sanitized before and after any contact with me and had the vet-techs in full precaution wear (gloves, gowns) with a bag ready to dispose of once out of the room. They had me call before I go out of my truck and had me immediately go into a room and was there waiting for us at the door. They took my money from the room and had the two patients waiting in the waiting room, to step back to the other hallway so we had zero amount of contact with any other animal. Of course, they were mopping behind us as we went and washing the door handles and such while he left.
I was highly impressed on how she handled my doggie and the situation in hand. I've always loved her, though. She also suggested we wait on updating his shots until he's over this (they're due at the end of the month) simply because he's already immuno-compromised so she'd rather not risk any reactions to the vaccinations, to just err on the side of caution.
So, pupster has his first round of antibiotic and both cough meds on board and he's doing MUCH, MUCH better already! It's almost time for another dose of cough medicine and antibiotic so he can sleep tonight AND me, too. I've already been up way past 24hrs and today once he stopped coughing, he was EXHAUSTED, as was I but I'm hoping tonight is a MUCH smoother night!
Has anyone had experience with this?
I'm pretty annoyed right now. My pup (1yr) went to get fixed 9 days ago and the night before last he started, what I thought was choking. It's lasted into last night and off and on today. It started sounding more "honking" and I'm pretty sure it's Kennel Cough. He's current on all of his vaccinations, as well and every animal that comes into that clinic on Tuesday's and Thursday's (the clinic is only open for surgery that day and no other animals allowed) are SUPPOSED to show proof of being up-to-date on their vaccinations.
Obviously, I cannot get him into the vet today, OF COURSE but first thing tomorrow I'm going to get him in but what can I do to help him?
I've read you need to isolate them from other dogs but that is seriously NOT a possibility so, what should I do to attempt to prevent it from spreading to my other two?