Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kennel Cough?--UPDATE!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

Update: I took poor little doggie, well not so little, to the vet this morning. It's in fact, kennel cough. He was prescribed an antibiotic and two cough medicines to help him out. He was, very literally, up ALL last night coughing last night. I felt so bad for him. I stayed up all night with him, too because I couldn't sleep through it and wanted to at least watch him and try and keep him comfortable and give him ice to help ease his throat.

The vet was very, very good about making sure that no other animals were infected during our visit, I was HIGHLY impressed with them. My parents asked that I take my dog to a spay/neuter clinic when he was fixed because they spoke very highly of one of the veterinarian's there and how well of a client base she had. Good for her but NEVER again will I ever allow my dog there again, simply because it's also a humane society but the clinic is far separated from it but still....either way, never again. My personal veterinarian was obviously not too happy about my decision and I knew I should have followed my gut to tell my parents no and just had my vet do it. Either way, she was very good about disinfecting every inch of where he and I walked, had me have him on a very short leash, had me walk him specifically in certain places, didn't come into the room, had all the sprays/disinfectants ready to go and bags to place them in, outside of the room to go and have them disinfected. Bleach mop that she stepped on and wiped her feet on a clean towel outside of the room, hand-sanitized before and after any contact with me and had the vet-techs in full precaution wear (gloves, gowns) with a bag ready to dispose of once out of the room. They had me call before I go out of my truck and had me immediately go into a room and was there waiting for us at the door. They took my money from the room and had the two patients waiting in the waiting room, to step back to the other hallway so we had zero amount of contact with any other animal. Of course, they were mopping behind us as we went and washing the door handles and such while he left.

I was highly impressed on how she handled my doggie and the situation in hand. I've always loved her, though. She also suggested we wait on updating his shots until he's over this (they're due at the end of the month) simply because he's already immuno-compromised so she'd rather not risk any reactions to the vaccinations, to just err on the side of caution.

So, pupster has his first round of antibiotic and both cough meds on board and he's doing MUCH, MUCH better already! It's almost time for another dose of cough medicine and antibiotic so he can sleep tonight AND me, too. I've already been up way past 24hrs and today once he stopped coughing, he was EXHAUSTED, as was I but I'm hoping tonight is a MUCH smoother night!

Has anyone had experience with this?

I'm pretty annoyed right now. My pup (1yr) went to get fixed 9 days ago and the night before last he started, what I thought was choking. It's lasted into last night and off and on today. It started sounding more "honking" and I'm pretty sure it's Kennel Cough. He's current on all of his vaccinations, as well and every animal that comes into that clinic on Tuesday's and Thursday's (the clinic is only open for surgery that day and no other animals allowed) are SUPPOSED to show proof of being up-to-date on their vaccinations.

Obviously, I cannot get him into the vet today, OF COURSE but first thing tomorrow I'm going to get him in but what can I do to help him?

I've read you need to isolate them from other dogs but that is seriously NOT a possibility so, what should I do to attempt to prevent it from spreading to my other two?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mattiehatter
by Mary on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Why is isolation of the sick dog not possible?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I have nowhere to isolate him or the other dogs to.

It's either he stays in a single room for 3 weeks and destroy everything in there or the other two dogs have to stay in a single room. There is no other place to keep him.

Quoting mattiehatter:

Why is isolation of the sick dog not possible?

scoleman828
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Just keep him as calm as possible and make sure he's eating and,drinking. Kennel cough is very common, especially in puppies, and is basically just a cold for dogs. If your others are adults and healthy, they should be able to fight it off. If it gets really bad or he has drainage & swelling around his eyes (indicating an infection rather than a virus) or lasts more,than a few days, take him to the clinic. Otherwise, there's probably not much they'll do for him. Hope this helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
X.Rukia.X
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Bordetella (kennel cough) is not a standard vaccination. It's only required if you are going to be placing your pet into a kennel facility. Call your vet and ask them what they want you to do if anything about treating your pup. Sorry your dealing with this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Thank you :-)!

I've read a humidifier helps, also. I may put him in the shower with me tonight (outside of the water, lol) and put a humidifier on top of his crate tonight while he's asleep.

He started hacking as early as 4am. Poor baby!

Your advice does help :-). My other two are older adults but they are healthy. My eldest dog (my princessa, lol) usually isolates herself in my room just because she's old and just wants to be left alone. She's raised two dogs (my middle dog and this pup, not biologically hers) and she's just an exhausted old maid who needs her time. :-)

As you can see, my dogs are like my children so their health and well-being are very important to me.

Quoting scoleman828:

Just keep him as calm as possible and make sure he's eating and,drinking. Kennel cough is very common, especially in puppies, and is basically just a cold for dogs. If your others are adults and healthy, they should be able to fight it off. If it gets really bad or he has drainage & swelling around his eyes (indicating an infection rather than a virus) or lasts more,than a few days, take him to the clinic. Otherwise, there's probably not much they'll do for him. Hope this helps!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Thank you very much!

I'm just a stickler for having ALL vaccinations, even Bordetalla. I'm not even sure why he has it when he's vaccinated for it. Perhaps it's because his shots are due at the end of this month? I wish it were required for any dog who had to stay in a vet for a few hours for surgery and such.

Quoting X.Rukia.X:

Bordetella (kennel cough) is not a standard vaccination. It's only required if you are going to be placing your pet into a kennel facility. Call your vet and ask them what they want you to do if anything about treating your pup. Sorry your dealing with this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

If he is vaccinated, how on earth did he get sick??

dancer
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Your pup will need to be hospitalized to get rid of it.  The vet covers all the costs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

hmm, your pup wasn't vaccinated for it for they got it :/ 

but no experience so here's a bump and a {{hug}}

simplysarahd
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Can't you keep the pup in the bathroom? That's what we did to keep our dog calm and mellow after she was spayed. We had to keep her isolated because she is hyper and would jump, which she was not allowed to do. She didn't do anything in there. We just put up the bathroom rugs and made sure nothing was on the floor.

Take your pup in tomorrow and they will give you medicine. After a week or so, it will clear up. The medicine is not expensive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN