Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Home schooling is NOT a right

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

The U.S. Justice Department says home-schooling is not a fundamental right.

That was the argument the Obama administration made in federal court against an evangelical Christian family from Germany seeking asylum in the United States.

Germany broadly forbids home-schooling. So the Romeike family was forced to flee the country or risk losing their five children to the German government, which was trying to force them to put their children in public schools.

The Homeschool Legal Defense Association is working on the Romeike family's behalf.

Michael Farris, founder and chairman of HSLDA, wrote about Germany's home-school ban in his blog saying, "It is thought control. It is belief control. It is totalitarianism dressed up in politically correct lingo."

For more on this important case and its potential impact on home-schooling in the United States, CBN News spoke with Michael Donnelly, director of International Relations for HSLDA.

The Romeikes claim their religious freedoms are being violated.

But U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has filed against the Romeike family in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He said that asylum should not be granted to home-schoolers since home-schooling is not protected under religious freedom.

But Farris wrote, "In most asylum cases, there is some guesswork necessary to figure out the government's true motive -- but not in this case."

"The Supreme Court of Germany declared that the purpose of the German ban on home-schooling was to 'counteract the development of religious and philosophically motivated parallel societies,'" Farris explained.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/politics/2013/February/Justice-Department-Home-Schooling-not-a-Right/

Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

It actually is, per the constitution.  Give me a second and I will pull the text.

Wicked.Jester
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM
10 moms liked this

Another one of our rights being challenged by the Obama administration.  What a surprise.

I think parents do have the right to educate their children in the manner they feel is best for their children.

This country is becoming less free every day.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM

i home school, so, i might be biased.  i think it's absolutely a right in the US.  i can't speak for the rights of germany -- i have no clue about their laws, but in America, i see it as a right.

Wicked.Jester
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM
3 moms liked this

Obama hasn't cared about the Constitution for quite some time.  Why should this be any different?

Quoting Anonymous:

It actually is, per the constitution.  Give me a second and I will pull the text.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

According to our Constitution, it is.. but wait- that doesnt mean anything anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Very true, but sad to say the majority of Americans don't know this.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Obama hasn't cared about the Constitution for quite some time.  Why should this be any different?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

agreed

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Another one of our rights being challengedd by the Obama administration.  What a surprise.

I think parents do have the right to educate their children in the manner they feel is best for their children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM

it sure is, and until we as a society stand united and demand change, NOTHING will change

Quoting Anonymous:

agreed

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Another one of our rights being challengedd by the Obama administration.  What a surprise.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

It is in the United States - not necessarily in other countries.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I think there is an issue with homeschooling and some children who are learning nothing at all. That is why some countries ban it.
I personally don't agree with homeschooling but that shouldn't make it illegal.
I do think (if not already) kids should have to pass some standard testing to remain being home schooled. Of course they must take into account a child who may have learning disabilities and who may be on a lower level just like public school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)