Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I let my kids play unsupervised in the yard.....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
Well, not totally ;). They just think I don't watch them. My yard is 1.5 acres and I let my 9,5 ( almost 6) and my 3 ( almost 4) year olds go outside without an adult. My 3 year old is required to stay in the back yard where I can see her at all times but the other 2 are allowed to all over the yard but not near the driveway. They listen or the immediately come inside. In general they are very good at doing exactly what they are told. They can stay out as long as they want so long as they come in for meals/snacks and whatnot.

I love watching them have fun without parents hovering. They are very good at entertaining themselves and my 5 year old is always bringing me bugs and toads. Do you allow your kids to have 'unsupervised' play?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
ok.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM
No not at all but they r 3 and 4....
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Lucky, I'd do it too with that much room.

I live in highly populated suburbia, minutes from trolley tracks and philthadelphia.

No bueno.
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM
This is unusual?
meaganmac
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I do. I know a lot of people will probably judge me but that's their problem, not mine. Our yard is fully fenced, gates are locked and my kids are 5 and 6. I peek out the window or stick my head out the door periodically, but for the most part they're on their own.

We also have our dogs out there so I know that no one is ever going to get past the fence/gates. We do live in a small town where everyone pretty much knows everyone as well.
catngabsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM
I don't live on an acre and a half, just a postage stamp lot in a subdivision and I have been letting my kids play outside since they were 4.5-5 years old (unsupervised). I checked on them, they knew their boundaries, we live on a cul-de-sac and we are at the back of the sub, I knew they were in no danger if being taken because there are about 300 kids in my sub, they could snatch one before getting to my street.
AlleyCat08
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I grew up on 5 acres, as long as my brother and I came in before dark, we had free run of the property. We could not go into the horse corrals without an adult though. Of course, that didn't stop me. I would go sit on a sleeping horse, or a horse that was just laying down resting.. When we moved onto 10 acres, as long as we stayed close, and kept our sister out of harm, we did as we pleased. I was older (12 yrs older than my baby sister), so I could get the horses and let my sister ride in the areana. No big deal.

Now that I have my own home an family. As long as my step children stay on the property and out of the horse corrals, they have free run of the property. They have to stay out of the garage as well. I see no problem as it allows for them to make their own decisions, and choose how to handle a problem. I also go check about every 30 min to make sure they are drinking enough water and such.

LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Dd can play all she wants in our fenced in back yard. I do check on her from time to time and usually the windows are open. We also have two dogs that love to be outside with her and if they start barking I get up and check. She's 7 in Oct btw. In the front yard, again windows are usually open but I don't let her go out front as often. We are on a busier street and I check on her way more often. For now she can only go to the neighbors across the street after she asks me, she can't go inside and must stay in their front or back yard. She's super crazy cautious about crossing the street so I don't worry too much, but after she asks to go over I watch as she's crossing the street. Obviously I don't always know when she's coming back but I do get up frequently to check on her. If I had as much land as you I'd probably do the same.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Apparently. I did a post like this last summer ( my youngest was not allowed out alone then) and I got hollered at and lectured quite a bit for being so irresponsible. Lol.

It seems its more common this year.

Quoting momtolittleg:

This is unusual?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I do the same, we live in a rural area. Not on a busy road and we have almost 2 acres

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)