Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do not put floaties on my child, if he goes under that is my problem.

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM
  • 139 Replies
2 moms liked this
My kids were the only ones today at a family get together who didnt have floaties. I do not use floaties w my children because I believe it gives them a false sense of security and I'd rather them know their own limits and be under my close supervision than rely on a cheap piece of plastic. And when I say I do not want them on my children, I expect the conversation to be over, not for someone to turn right around and offer them directly to my child. That is a very quick way for me to hit bitchmode in fifth gear.

FYI I am a former certified lifeguard, as is my dh, my children are safer under my supervision than anywhere or with anything else. And yes I do use coastguard approved pfd's when required.

Sorry just a vent. But do you agree w floaties or are you against them like me?

I geuss I should clarify, this wasnt at anyone's house, it was public property. And it was made clear more than once I didn't want them on my kids, after the fourth or fifth offer in less than twenty seconds by the same person directly to my child, that's when I was getting mad.

And I would NEVER leave my child unsupervised in any body of water. This water was less than a foot deep and they were playing in an eight foot span of space directly between my husband and I. The water was mid calf to me, both my husband and I were literally one grab away from them both. And our eyes were glued to them. The other ten kids that were there were playing randomly in the water (with arm floaties), only mildly supervised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

My 5 year old uses floaties at the YMCA. Gives him a little independence and my dh is next to him at all times. 

Foleygirl24
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm like you, also a former lifeguard. Floaties are dangerous IMO, because parents put them on and tend to leave their child unsupervised because of it. My kidwill never wear floaties. I don't even like the float packs they put on him for swim lessons, but they are needed in the group classes.

missmamaof4

maybe they were just trying to help

baby growth

Foleygirl24

Plus they tend to fall off rather easily (and when I say floaties, I'm talking about the blow up arm bands).

Quoting Foleygirl24:

I'm like you, also a former lifeguard. Floaties are dangerous IMO, because parents put them on and tend to leave their child unsupervised because of it. My kidwill never wear floaties. I don't even like the float packs they put on him for swim lessons, but they are needed in the group classes.

casah4
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I loved puddle jumpers when my DD was little. It gave her freedom and confidence. I'd use them again.

yo_ho
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM
We used them, but then had to help them unlearn how to swim without floaties. With the babe we probably will as well, he doesn't like to be held so if he can swim with a floatie then he will and we will just help him later.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you 100%. No floaties for my kid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Mmmmm not smart parenting but what ever. Oh and key word is "former". If it was my home your children would not be allowed in the pool unless you where in with them and they would have to get out if you got out.My dd used them for a bit. When they where off she realized she would go under but we where right there. She no longer uses them and can swim. So I don't see it as a sense of false security.
got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Asking me was trying to help, when I said "thanks but we dont use those", and then offering them to my child anyway, that was bullshit.

Quoting missmamaof4:

maybe they were just trying to help

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yo_ho
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM
We don't use the arm ones though, just the puddle jumpers and vests.

Quoting yo_ho:

We used them, but then had to help them unlearn how to swim without floaties. With the babe we probably will as well, he doesn't like to be held so if he can swim with a floatie then he will and we will just help him later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)