Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do not put floaties on my child, if he goes under that is my problem.

Posted by   + Show Post
My kids were the only ones today at a family get together who didnt have floaties. I do not use floaties w my children because I believe it gives them a false sense of security and I'd rather them know their own limits and be under my close supervision than rely on a cheap piece of plastic. And when I say I do not want them on my children, I expect the conversation to be over, not for someone to turn right around and offer them directly to my child. That is a very quick way for me to hit bitchmode in fifth gear.

FYI I am a former certified lifeguard, as is my dh, my children are safer under my supervision than anywhere or with anything else. And yes I do use coastguard approved pfd's when required.

Sorry just a vent. But do you agree w floaties or are you against them like me?

I geuss I should clarify, this wasnt at anyone's house, it was public property. And it was made clear more than once I didn't want them on my kids, after the fourth or fifth offer in less than twenty seconds by the same person directly to my child, that's when I was getting mad.

And I would NEVER leave my child unsupervised in any body of water. This water was less than a foot deep and they were playing in an eight foot span of space directly between my husband and I. The water was mid calf to me, both my husband and I were literally one grab away from them both. And our eyes were glued to them. The other ten kids that were there were playing randomly in the water (with arm floaties), only mildly supervised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Replies (131-139):
Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I agree about floaties giving a false sense of security but I will say if this wasn't your own pool the pool owner is liable if something does happen on their property. My dd has never used floaties but I wouldn't get angry if someone offered her floaties at their house while we are using their pool

TishHughes
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I use floaties on my child but I only have 1 (kid). I do not, under any circumstances, leave her unattended in the water . If it's deep enough for me to use a floatie then she stays in  my grip. She may try to wiggle away but I don't let go..but I'm also lazy so the floatie lets her float a little and I don't get tired out so fast.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Ok good for you....we use the arm floaties but their not inflatable so no chance of them popping...
Tal0n
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM

We used a specific kind of floatie with Chibi while she was learning to swim, but she was never without our direct supervision.  I would NEVER put floaties on a kid whose parent said not to.

A couple of years ago, after my grandfather's funeral, Chibi went swimming in the lake my grandparents lived on, (she was 10 at the time and already a competitive swimmer) and I just told her to remember that she was in a lake, not a pool and not to swim out further than she could swim back.  Plus my brother and 3 of my cousins went out on the lake in a wonky paddle boat after awhile and she was swimming around them and getting tossed off it, ect.  The wife of one of my cousins had two little boys and is SUCH a helicoptor parent I couldn't even believe it...making them wear life preservers in water that wasn't even up to their waists, ect...got on my case and was all, aren't you WORRIED about her? 

. . .

She swims like a fish, can swim FOREVER, she has four adults out on the lake, all of whom adore her and all of whom can swim at LEAST as well as she can...no, not really!!  All of us kids grew up swimming in that lake (though my grandparents used to have a float that got put out in the middle of it for us to swim out to and jump off, ect) and two of the cousins used to live a few houses down!  I feel bad for her kids.  Plus I don't really like her.  I suspect the feeling is mutual.

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM

We don't use floaties.. I agree with you.  My guy was swimming on his own (supervised) by age 3.  

Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Agreed. We use tubes and noodles at the lake in the summer a bit but never any floatation devises if any kind at the pool. Its better to learn early you stay where yoy can touch or you learn to swim cause otherwise you sink! Im also the lousy parent who counts to 3 when my kid trips and goes under right in front if me.
AngelaR
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I do believe in them but for only a limited time. Like you I believe they give a false  sense of security. But also I want them to feel that sense they can be independent but that they are not permanent I only allowed them for 3 months.

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:49 AM

My son is just about 3, and we recently spent 4 months in bi-weekly swim lessons.  He has come SO FAR, and personally, for my son, and how he rolls, arm floats make him lazy. He doesn't want to try his strokes, or kick as hard.....and hey, everyone has those days, but personally, I prefer he work on his skill building and floaties hinder the skills he has aquired, they don't build skills. 

Princess_s21
by Sarah on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM

We dont do floaties either, we do swimming lessons!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured