Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Someone gave me a dog can they legally take it back?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 70 Replies

Someone gave me a dog and they are mad at me now long story short. I was suppose to pay the dog food which I have paid some of it but nothing in writing. Can this person legally take the dog back?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Why not just pay off the dog food?  It can't be that much, unless they sold you a crate of it.  I mean, I bought my dogs top quality, and it was $50 a bag max.  If you can't afford to pay off the food now, how do you plan to afford the dog and all the dog's needs?

When I rescued dogs I would have an "adoption fee" that was the dollar equivalent of a one month supply of food.  I would also give the person a supply of food, so I wasn't turning a profit, just making sure that before I gave them a dog they could afford to feed it.

Legally, possession is 9/10 of the law, so said person will have a hard time getting the dog back.  But if there are witnesses, texts, etc then you are in violation and really should just pay up what you agreed to pay.

anotherhalf
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM

How do you plan on feeding this dog if you can't pay for the food?  Maybe it would be best for the dog and your finances to give it back.

fallenstars
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM
10 moms liked this
Dunno I kinda stole my dog. She was locked in an outside kennel no food or water severely under weight etc. I left a note and $40 in an envelope with my name and address. I told them they could take the $40 or the dog. I left all my info. They came and dropped off all her papers egc. Told me they didn't want her and were just waiting for her to die. She's now happy and healthy and has a loving home here with us....inside lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Who licensed the dog?  And besides, if you can't pay for the dog food, maybe you shouldn't have the dog to begin with.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Who licensed the dog?  And besides, if you can't pay for the dog food, maybe you shouldn't have the dog to begin with.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you!!  Glad to hear the dog is doing well.

Quoting fallenstars:

Dunno I kinda stole my dog. She was locked in an outside kennel no food or water severely under weight etc. I left a note and $40 in an envelope with my name and address. I told them they could take the $40 or the dog. I left all my info. They came and dropped off all her papers egc. Told me they didn't want her and were just waiting for her to die. She's now happy and healthy and has a loving home here with us....inside lol.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM

If someone gave you a dog, yeah, you're supposed to buy it dog food.

Got a bill of sale for the dog?  No?   Then it ain't yourn.

BluePandaDreams
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM
If you all made a verbal agreement of some sort involving money, then the honest and right thing to do would be to pay whatever the agreed amount was. I don't think legally they can take the dog back, unless they say you stole it.

Also, you are goin to have to buy it dog food, unless you plan on having table scraps every day. There are cheap brands of dog food at walmart. We pay $25/50lb of olroy every two weeks for our dogs, plus 10 cans of olroy for like 65 cents each. It really isn't that expensive, for two dogs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM

First they have to prove that the dog was theirs and that you agreed to pay anything.  The burden of providing proof is on them.

qslaqhay
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I can't believe someone is capable of doing that... How sad

Quoting fallenstars:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)