Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What should I do for her

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Dd had felt a bit warm last night when I put her to bed. But woke up in the middle of the night burning up. She was crying and fussy all night and this morning still didn't seem much better. Today DH said she played pretty well but shortly before I got him she started acting sick again. We've given her Tylenol when she starts getting real fussy. I called the doctors office to make sure they were closed and of course they were.

What could it be? She's never been sick and I hate that she's whimpering and crying. Could it be a kid ey infection or anything like that??

ETA**** last night her temp was 100.3.. Middle of the night is was 101.0. This morning was 102.6. And this evening it's been 102.1. Her fever goes down with each dose of medicine.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Replies (21-24):
Trisi
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM
The strong odor and dark colored urine means dehydration. Push fluids.

Quoting Anonymous:

She is going to the bathroom but not as much as usual. She hasn't pooped today. She's drinking but not as much as normal. I have to force her. Her temp gets to about 99.4 or 99.6 after meds. Her pee is dark yellow and has a strong odor. I will probably just watch her close and take her to the dr in the morning

Quoting liels898:

What is the temp, even after giving Tylenol? Do you see any rashes or bumps, anything out of the ordinary? Is she able to go to the bathroom ok? Or not going as much as usual? If she is voiding, does it look dark yellow or give you the impression that there might be an infection (bad odor, etc.)? Does your dd have ear infections often? It really is about process of elimination, if there's anything out of the ordinary coupled with a high fever you should take her to after hours or ER. Also check for any swelling or whether she's able to move her neck freely. 

JanineDeer
by Janine on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM

children get sick.  All kids do, even little ones.   Just keep doing what you are doing.... let her rest more.  Keep fluids.  IF they can't keep fluids down and run a fever- then you have a lot to worry about.... otherwise, sicknesses just run their course. 

A temp like that- is NOT very high, actually.  Kids run quite high fevers and unless it is controlled with the tylenol and warm bath or rub, it's not extremely worrisome.

Two days is NOT long for a kid to run a fever and feel awful.   As long she is not vomiting and having diarreaha with this, don't panic.

liels898
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

She is going to the bathroom but not as much as usual. She hasn't pooped today. She's drinking but not as much as normal. I have to force her. Her temp gets to about 99.4 or 99.6 after meds. Her pee is dark yellow and has a strong odor. I will probably just watch her close and take her to the dr in the morning

Quoting liels898:

What is the temp, even after giving Tylenol? Do you see any rashes or bumps, anything out of the ordinary? Is she able to go to the bathroom ok? Or not going as much as usual? If she is voiding, does it look dark yellow or give you the impression that there might be an infection (bad odor, etc.)? Does your dd have ear infections often? It really is about process of elimination, if there's anything out of the ordinary coupled with a high fever you should take her to after hours or ER. Also check for any swelling or whether she's able to move her neck freely. 

Sounds like a UTI, I'd watch her, try to keep her hyrdrated and yes, take her to the Dr in the morning. If her temp goes higher though, I'd still suggest after hours or ER, especially with her not pooping and not wanting to drink anything. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM

It depends on the temp of the fever and the age of your child. Are there any other major symptoms like chills, coughing, etc? Under the age of 2, a prolonged fever is considered to be 24 hours or more. Older than that and you can wait up to 3 days depending on the temp. You may just need a stronger med to help.

Quoting Anonymous:

How long is prolonged though?? It's barely been a day and her fever breaks with the medicine.

Quoting Anonymous:

If she gets too bad, take her to the ER. A prolonged fever may be signs of something more serious. Have you tried wiping her with a cool washcloth?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)