Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Saw this on fb, what's your take? Warning race related

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Since I'm awake I may as well start some trouble..I mean ask a thought provoking question! This is for my people of African decent ( don't get technical with me)
Since our ancestors were not free, why do YOU choose to celebrate Independence Day? Do you feel like its a holiday for you or for "white" people?

I didn't write this, someone on my Facebook did and I brought it here to cafemom.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Replies (121-125):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Really? How many people actually stop and think about what the day symbolizes any way? Most people are just glad to have a day off, eat BBQ and blow things up. How many people actually really stop to reflect on our country's history? The only people that actually take a second to remember what the day is about are the ones that give the speech before the National Anthem, or before the fireworks begin.

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Wow. Just wow. 

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

It's a legitimate sentiment for African Americans whose ancestors were then here as slaves.    

I'd like to hope that if not celebrating the 4th, they could celebrate emancipation.   

Friend of mine read this and thought it was pointless not to celebrate the 4th for a couple reasons - many more slaves came here later than that(were not here during declaration of independence or war for independence - though many Africans actually were here then, I came to find out), and no one living now was enslaved, so move on.

I think it remains a personal choice what holidays one wants to celebrate.

NoSammich4You
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Dictionaries contain definitions of words. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Lol.

And again not sure what immigration reform has to do with anything...

But I'm not going to go back and forth with you anymore you debate like a middle schooler.

Quoting Jlynn8710:

I forgot this is Cafemom home of Webster's dictionary whores.

You're wrong I'm right.

And PS don't get mad Newbie and try bashing my husband,I feel bad for your husband with you always having to be right you must not get laid much. Have a good day sweetheart.

I'm FOR the Immigration Reform.

VIVA MÉXICO PUTAS!!!!!

Quoting NoSammich4You:

I have not said one factually incorrect thing. You're just butt hurt señorita, because you do not know what you're talking about.

There are plenty Americans who are not familiar with certain parts of American history. If you're husband does not what Cinco de Mayo commemorates he may be the Mexican equivalent.

Quoting Jlynn8710:

My husband is Mexican I don't have to study up sweetie.

Quit trying to be right when your wrong.

BTW I've already passed my test for Mexico :-*

Quoting NoSammich4You:

Do have to take a test to get your citizenship once you move to Mexico similar to here? If so, you may want to read up on a little Mexican history.

Cinco de Mayo is not a huge celebration in Mexico but it is celebrated there. I said regionally for a reason, I know what I'm talking about.

I also said it has become in a way a Mexican heritage day here, especially in areas with a large population of Mexican immigrants, like where I live. Food and drink are a big part of any couture but there are other ways we honor the couture where I live.

St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. We have many Irish immigrants so again, I'm not seeing the issue with why we celebrate those.

Again, you may want to do some studying up on Mexican history/couture there are as many holidays that are celebrated there.

Quoting Jlynn8710:

It's funny Americans think Mexicans celebrate may 5th and they don't only white people who like tacos and Margaritas.

Are you for or against immigration reform?

St Patricks day isn't celebrated to celebrate irish people it's yet another pathetic excuse to get shit faced.

Americans celebrate nonsense like I stated and I stand by that. If you can't live with that I'm not sorry like assholes everyone has their own opinion that ia mine

Quoting NoSammich4You:

I prefer to be as factually correct both offline and online.

St. Patrick's day is an Irish Holiday, Cinco de Mayo is a regionally celebrated Mexican holiday and an unofficial mexican-american heritage day. Being that we have immigrants from both places, it's not that nonsense.

Sorry you can't deal with that, or have a disagreement like an adult. Oh well...that's what I get for addressing your nonsense comment to begin with.

Quoting Jlynn8710:

Awwww now you wanna go all technical. And to think I thought one person could actually have a life offline. Oh well. Better luck next time I guess.

aNd to be honest all Americans celebrate is beer, sex, and arguments.

Quoting NoSammich4You:To be fair, none of the holidays you listed are official/national holidays. They are considered observance days.

Being that the USA is a melting pot I think it's great that we observe holidays such as St. Patrick's day and cinco de mayo.

I think the 4th of July is one of the most important holidays we celebrate given the fact it is when we celebrate our independence as a country.

Quoting Jlynn8710:I celebrate September 16th which is Mexican independence day. I'm Cherokee/white to answer my country I'm from, I'm just tired of all Americans racially profiling each other. I wasn't meaning 4th of July was a nonsense holiday and if someone would have asked like you did I would have told them the nonsense holidays are like St Patty's day, Halloween, 5 de Mayo, holidays like that are nonsense. I wanna say thank you for asking instead of pretending to be a patriotic Barbie which over half aren't offline.

Quoting NoSammich4You:I'm sure you've already gotten shit for this, but enlighten me, how would independence day be a nonsebse hokiday? And what country are you from that doesn't celebrate some sort of patriotic holiday?

Quoting Jlynn8710:I'm white and I don't celebrate it, Americans have to many nonsense holidays.

NoSammich4You
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Call me cheesy but when the fireworks go off on the 4th I do reflect on what they represent. Lol. My dh makes fun of me because I get all sentimental on the 4th and on Memorial Day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? How many people actually stop and think about what the day symbolizes any way? Most people are just glad to have a day off, eat BBQ and blow things up. How many people actually really stop to reflect on our country's history? The only people that actually take a second to remember what the day is about are the ones that give the speech before the National Anthem, or before the fireworks begin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN