Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

autism causes - not vaccines or genetics

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

i think vaccines and genetics get too much focus when it comes to autism causes.

What else do you think causes autism?  What have you dug up through research?  Hopefully this thread will lead some pregnant mommies to do some research.

So, here are things i would avoid if possible:

anti-depressants in pregnancy

antibiotics - both in pregnancy and early life

here are other connections, but I do not know enough about them to judge:

-live near a very bust street

-have older parents or older grandparents - particularly fathers

-anesthesia in very early life

-acetaminophen, particularly in conjunction with vaccines

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cupcake_mama_22
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Hmmm.. Sounds logical. What about mothers who are strictly crunchy, young and have multiple autistic children? Just a thought because it has been known to happen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Fluorine
Antibiotics
Vaccines
Genetics
GMOs
Pesticides
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I've heard of antidepressants and older fathers. The rest I haven't. The busy street thing seems pretty unlikely to me...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I figure GMO'd foods.
lasombrs
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM
My dh is 10 years older and my son had surgery very early.

Ds also has a fever disorder and has spent 1/4 of his life over 106 f which I think must have caused so damage
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Oh, sure.  I would never deny there is a genetic component.  It does run in families.  However, there does seem to be triggers as well - otherwise we would not be seeing the sharp increase in autism we are now.  It isn't just more awareness and better diagnosis.  Autism Speaks think about 1/2 the autism diagnosis comes down to expanding definition, awareness, etc.  the other half is real, and we don't really know why.  There are some pet theories and I think it might be helpful to explore those ideas.  

Quoting Cupcake_mama_22:

Hmmm.. Sounds logical. What about mothers who are strictly crunchy, young and have multiple autistic children? Just a thought because it has been known to happen.

yelsmaw
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I drank way too much Mt Dew during my pregnancy. I guess it sounds somewhat silly but I've always wondered if there was some kind of link to my son's diagnoses. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
gmos
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I though of another one.

My autistic nephew had a virus of some sort around 20 months.  If I were to pinpoint the point he regressed into autism (and his is definitely regressive autism) I would say it was post virus.  My BIL had the same virus and lost some hearing due to it.  

Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Autism, across the spectrum, is prevalent in my family. If we look away from genetics, another possible cause could be our town of origin, which had the trees on our surrounding mountains wiped out by a Zinc company.

The chemicals are far from gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN