Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Pobrecito"..WTF...?!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 86 Replies
For those of you who don't know Spanish this means "poor baby." Every single time my MIL comes around she constantly calls my DS "Pobrecito"
Wtf!!?
Can someone please help me understand why she keeps saying this?
There is absolutely no reason for her to refer to my Ds that way. He's well behaved, healthy, and well taken care of.
Is this just something that Hispanic moms/grandmas just say..? I'm really confused.
If I hear her say it one more time, I'm going to ask her why she does that. Unless, someone on here helps me out with this.
I'm white so I definitely have no idea what this could mean. If she's saying it because of the fact that she doesn't like me then we'll problems. Lol
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM
My MIL and SIL and BIL always say that too. It's not a big deal. They say it to every baby I've noticed.
Anonandon
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM
3 moms liked this

It's a term of endearment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Ok. Maybe its just a Hispanic thing then... Thanks.

Quoting Anonymous:

My MIL and SIL and BIL always say that too. It's not a big deal. They say it to every baby I've noticed.

sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I say that all the time to MY baby. It's just said as endearment.
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

naw, naw....tell her the truth.

Quoting Anonandon:

It's a term of endearment.

IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM
7 moms liked this

Hey OP...they just trying to make you feel better.  Anytime an older woman in my family says pobrecito, it is to show disapproval of something. I dont know what that something is in your case, but......she is incinuating something.  Just ask her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Maybe it's kind of like "Bless it" or "Bless you little heart" would be coming from a Southern Granny.  Not really saying that something is wrong (like Mama is neglecting or treating the baby badly).  Just kind of that, "Awww, poor baby, he's crying/fussy/unhappy" or "Its tough being a baby and not being able to make people understand what you want" kind of thinking.

TrouserMouse
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Great grandpa calls my baby "tamalito". I love it...lol.
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM

it just means poor little thing. does she use it after he bonks his head or something? or like, pobrecito, you have such a crappy mom?

my grandmother always called us mi hijito (it runs together, so it just sounds like mijo), which means my baby/my grandbaby/my little one. i've only heard pobrecito used sarcastically, or if the person was like seriously destitute, but i only learned spanish later in life, so i'm not always familiar with all the terms of endearment.

Let the sisters take care of themselves, and make themselves beautiful, and if any of you are so superstitious and ignorant as to say that this is pride, I can say that you are not informed as to the pride which is sinful before the Lord. You are also ignorant as to the excellency of the heavens and the beauty which dwells in the society of the Gods. Were you to see an angel, you would see a beautiful and lovely creature. Make yourselves like angels in goodness and beauty. ~Brigham Young
ksueditz
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM

my mother in law calls our girls "muchachita," now i call them that. i don't know about pobrecito??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN