Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need advice about kindergarten and a child with attachment issues

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM
  • 68 Replies
My 3 year old is due to start kindergarten next year. But she spends almost all of her time with me, if I try to leave the house without her she grabs onto me and cries and screams. I am concerned about sending her to kindergarten as I want her to enjoy it, not be afraid and upset that mummy's gone for a few hours. Did/does anyone have a child like this? And how do I go about helping her to make this easier?
Also, the reason she is always with me is because I don't live close to family and I have very few friends close by either
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM

what age do they start kindergarten where you live?

lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM
3, they have 3 & 4 yr old kindergarten and then off to school

Quoting Anonymous:

what age do they start kindergarten where you live?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM

and this is why you should have put her in nursery school, to get used to being away from you....about all you can  do is ask her teacher what strategy to use

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:34 AM

So when you drop her off, you let her scream and cry, and let the teacher deal with it...she'll get used to it eventually, and may even grow to like school...

weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Honestly? My mom was a kindergarten teacher for 12 years. The best advice I can give you is to not linger. Give a quick hug and kiss, say "I'll see you this afternoon, I love you" and leave. You make it worse for everyone if you stay and let her cling and cry. Most kids settle down after only a few minutes.

The first time will be hard. Maybe even the first week. But if you remain calm and show your DD that you're ok, she will be ok, too. They feed off if that anxiety.

Let her know what is happening before. Don't spring it on her. Show her the school and the playground. Tell her how fun it will be. Whenever you drive by her school, say enthusiastically," look! There's your school!" Be excited for her and she will feel excited, too. Take her to the open house so she can see the school and meet the teacher. Make it a fun thing for her. Good luck!
MotherLady
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM
You have plenty of time, she will mature a lot by next year. Your daughter is only 3 now.

Relax!

It may be rough for the first few days, but she'll be ready when the time comes.
lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Thank you so much for your reply. It's made me feel a lot better

Quoting weezer_cookie:

Honestly? My mom was a kindergarten teacher for 12 years. The best advice I can give you is to not linger. Give a quick hug and kiss, say "I'll see you this afternoon, I love you" and leave. You make it worse for everyone if you stay and let her cling and cry. Most kids settle down after only a few minutes.

The first time will be hard. Maybe even the first week. But if you remain calm and show your DD that you're ok, she will be ok, too. They feed off if that anxiety.

Let her know what is happening before. Don't spring it on her. Show her the school and the playground. Tell her how fun it will be. Whenever you drive by her school, say enthusiastically," look! There's your school!" Be excited for her and she will feel excited, too. Take her to the open house so she can see the school and meet the teacher. Make it a fun thing for her. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Yeah we don't have that here, only option is daycare, otherwise your kids are with you until preschool

Quoting Anonymous:

and this is why you should have put her in nursery school, to get used to being away from you....about all you can  do is ask her teacher what strategy to use

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Thank you :)

Quoting MotherLady:

You have plenty of time, she will mature a lot by next year. Your daughter is only 3 now.

Relax!

It may be rough for the first few days, but she'll be ready when the time comes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:42 AM
My advice? Pre school a couple days a week. Get her used to it now
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)