Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My kids are locked in their room at night

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 304 Replies
2 moms liked this

Yup you read that right. My five year old ds is an escape artist. It got to the point that we got a call from the police in tje middle of the night because he was wandering the streets. We put locks on all doors leading to the outside but then he started raiding the kitchen at night. We tried the alarms for the doors but he would open and close them really fast and it would wake us up. He also thought it was funny to set them off and then go lay back in bed until the whole house was awake. So we put the chain lock on the door. He shares a room with his 10 year old brother so before bed his brother locks it. My ds is not tall enough to reach. There is a bathroom that connects the two rooms so we put one on our door also. Now he does not sneak out and get in trouble. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katalina650
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM
15 moms liked this

Do what ya gotta do to keep him safe,  as long as the 10 year old is able to get them both out in case of emergency.  

JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
3 moms liked this

God help your children if there is a fire; you aren't easily getting in nor are they easily getting out

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM

They can easily get out and unless the fire was in the bathroom we could easily get to them

Quoting JulyBabies:

God help your children if there is a fire; you aren't easily getting in nor are they easily getting out

shygurl3166
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Did you try talking to him? At 5 he should know better. Try punishments? I hope you exhausted every resource before doing this. Shit have a cop talk to him... I think there are other options I'd try before this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM

He does know that he shouldnt do that and that it is wrong but he does it anyway. We have tried just about every punishment we could think of but he doesnt care.  When the cops brought him home he was laughing and smiling and they did tell him how dangerous it was. 

Quoting shygurl3166:

Did you try talking to him? At 5 he should know better. Try punishments? I hope you exhausted every resource before doing this. Shit have a cop talk to him... I think there are other options I'd try before this.

acook0331
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Wow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

i have given up and started locking everything too.  in fact we just installed locks on the fridge and freezer.  atm we have locks on the bathroom door, the basement door, the back screen door and an upstairs bedroom that no children are allowed in.  oh, and i took all the chairs away and anything that he could stand on to unhook the locks.  at some point enough is enough after telling them "no" and giving "timeouts" for over a year does NOTHING.

life is a lot better now.  he doesnt ruin everything and run away and we are not contantly punishing him for doing the wrong things.

JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

They can easily get out and unless the fire was in the bathroom we could easily get to them

Quoting JulyBabies:

What about carbon monoxide poisoning and people pass out or an intruder in the house? So many things can go wrong and your kids have limited escape options. I am sure you will have excuses as to why this won't happen or be the case but all it takes is a second. Unless your kid is sleepwalking, at 5 yrs. old there should be other options.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Quoting JulyBabies:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JulyBabies:

What about carbon monoxide poisoning and people pass out or an intruder in the house? So many things can go wrong and your kids have limited escape options. I am sure you will have excuses as to why this won't happen or be the case but all it takes is a second. Unless your kid is sleepwalking, at 5 yrs. old there should be other options.

How are the limited in escape options? Myds10 can lock and unlock it....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

If they can easily get out doesn't that defeat the purpose of the lock in the first place? Either they CAN get out and there is no point, or they CAN'T get out but you're trying to save face.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JulyBabies:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)