Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids are locked in their room at night

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Yup you read that right. My five year old ds is an escape artist. It got to the point that we got a call from the police in tje middle of the night because he was wandering the streets. We put locks on all doors leading to the outside but then he started raiding the kitchen at night. We tried the alarms for the doors but he would open and close them really fast and it would wake us up. He also thought it was funny to set them off and then go lay back in bed until the whole house was awake. So we put the chain lock on the door. He shares a room with his 10 year old brother so before bed his brother locks it. My ds is not tall enough to reach. There is a bathroom that connects the two rooms so we put one on our door also. Now he does not sneak out and get in trouble. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM

My ds10 can reach the lock my ds 5 can not

Quoting Anonymous:

If they can easily get out doesn't that defeat the purpose of the lock in the first place? Either they CAN get out and there is no point, or they CAN'T get out but you're trying to save face.

Quoting Anonymous:

They can easily get out and unless the fire was in the bathroom we could easily get to them

Quoting JulyBabies:

God help your children if there is a fire; you aren't easily getting in nor are they easily getting out

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I can relate, my son would always escape and he'd do that with the door alarms too at age 3 but were not allowed locks on any bedroom doors :( he'd even smash the door handle, when I had the child proof ones with the rubber, so they'd fall off -__- you gotta do what you gotta do
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
My cousin had to put a lock on her fridge because her 13 year old son would get up in the middle of the night and just eat like everything in the fridge.

Quoting Anonymous:

i have given up and started locking everything too.  in fact we just installed locks on the fridge and freezer.  atm we have locks on the bathroom door, the basement door, the back screen door and an upstairs bedroom that no children are allowed in.  oh, and i took all the chairs away and anything that he could stand on to unhook the locks.  at some point enough is enough after telling them "no" and giving "timeouts" for over a year does NOTHING.

life is a lot better now.  he doesnt ruin everything and run away and we are not contantly punishing him for doing the wrong things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM

my kids dont eat everything, they just dump it out and play in it.  after my oldest dumped a half a gallon of milk on the floor while i was trying to find a quiet place to talk to my dads hospice nurse i was done.  i should be able to step into the next room for 2 minutes to take a call without them messing with something they know they shouldnt touch.  i had locks installed that night and i have had no more issues with wasted food.

Quoting Anonymous:

My cousin had to put a lock on her fridge because her 13 year old son would get up in the middle of the night and just eat like everything in the fridge.

Quoting Anonymous:

i have given up and started locking everything too.  in fact we just installed locks on the fridge and freezer.  atm we have locks on the bathroom door, the basement door, the back screen door and an upstairs bedroom that no children are allowed in.  oh, and i took all the chairs away and anything that he could stand on to unhook the locks.  at some point enough is enough after telling them "no" and giving "timeouts" for over a year does NOTHING.

life is a lot better now.  he doesnt ruin everything and run away and we are not contantly punishing him for doing the wrong things.

ROBIN-C
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I understand what you are saying. There is your room and their room and a bathroom between the two bedrooms right? They can get to your room through the bathroom right?

the lock is on the I side of the boys bedroom, high enough that the younger can't reach, but the older can, right?

MommyLehr
by Veronica on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
We had a similar situation. Luckily the door alarm was enough for us.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Right

Quoting ROBIN-C:

I understand what you are saying. There is your room and their room and a bathroom between the two bedrooms right? They can get to your room through the bathroom right?

the lock is on the I side of the boys bedroom, high enough that the younger can't reach, but the older can, right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Is he special needs?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM

No just sneaky

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he special needs?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM
What kinds discipline have you attempted?

Quoting Anonymous:

No just sneaky

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he special needs?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured