Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids are locked in their room at night

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Yup you read that right. My five year old ds is an escape artist. It got to the point that we got a call from the police in tje middle of the night because he was wandering the streets. We put locks on all doors leading to the outside but then he started raiding the kitchen at night. We tried the alarms for the doors but he would open and close them really fast and it would wake us up. He also thought it was funny to set them off and then go lay back in bed until the whole house was awake. So we put the chain lock on the door. He shares a room with his 10 year old brother so before bed his brother locks it. My ds is not tall enough to reach. There is a bathroom that connects the two rooms so we put one on our door also. Now he does not sneak out and get in trouble. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM
it seems like the younger one can't get out without help but he's not in there at night without the 10 year old. and the 10 year old can easily unlock the door.

Quoting Anonymous:

If they can easily get out doesn't that defeat the purpose of the lock in the first place? Either they CAN get out and there is no point, or they CAN'T get out but you're trying to save face.

Quoting Anonymous:

They can easily get out and unless the fire was in the bathroom we could easily get to them

Quoting JulyBabies:

God help your children if there is a fire; you aren't easily getting in nor are they easily getting out

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Time outs, taking away all of his things, positive re-enforcement, even spanking. Even talking to the police about it when they brought him home did nothing.

Quoting Anonymous:

What kinds discipline have you attempted?

Quoting Anonymous:

No just sneaky

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he special needs?

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:48 AM
That is such a fire hazard, but I can understand you just want to keep him in and safe. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:48 AM
What is he like aside from this?

Quoting Anonymous:

Time outs, taking away all of his things, positive re-enforcement, even spanking. Even talking to the police about it when they brought him home did nothing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

No just sneaky

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he special needs?

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

yeah in most places that's illegal.

So much fail....

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I've done it when my daughter was younger. She used to turn off her monitor or put something over it and then rehavoc on my house. Our bedrooms were split so I didn't always hear her get of her room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

During the day he is pretty good. I mean he has his good days and bad days but he isnt completely out of control. It is like at night he is his "evil twin" 

Quoting Anonymous:

What is he like aside from this?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

No just sneaky

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he special needs?

zacmacsmomm
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I can't say I blame you.  My daughter was like that.  What we had to do was put up 2 gates at her door, one on top of the other lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

It is not illegal. How is that a fail? My kids are actually safe now

Quoting Aslen:

yeah in most places that's illegal.

So much fail....

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

How is it a fire hazard?

Quoting acrogodess:

That is such a fire hazard, but I can understand you just want to keep him in and safe. :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured