Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My kids are locked in their room at night

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Yup you read that right. My five year old ds is an escape artist. It got to the point that we got a call from the police in tje middle of the night because he was wandering the streets. We put locks on all doors leading to the outside but then he started raiding the kitchen at night. We tried the alarms for the doors but he would open and close them really fast and it would wake us up. He also thought it was funny to set them off and then go lay back in bed until the whole house was awake. So we put the chain lock on the door. He shares a room with his 10 year old brother so before bed his brother locks it. My ds is not tall enough to reach. There is a bathroom that connects the two rooms so we put one on our door also. Now he does not sneak out and get in trouble. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Because the smoke can knock them unconscious and then the 10 yr old can't unlatch the lock. Seriously? Did you never have fire safety lessons? I learned that when I was a child.

Quoting Anonymous:

How is it a fire hazard?

Quoting acrogodess:

That is such a fire hazard, but I can understand you just want to keep him in and safe. :-(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

At 5 he should know better. Teach him boundaries and consequences for doing that. Locking him in there just teaches him that he has to outsmart you guys to get out...which i'm sure he will eventually figure out because he thinks its funny.

ATG499
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Technically, my four year old gets locked in his room as well. I have a doorknob cover on the inside handle. I'd wake up and find him gone if I didn't have it on there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM

We have smoke/fire detectors. They would go of before that plus unless the fire is in the bathroom we would be right there. 

Quoting acrogodess:

Because the smoke can knock them unconscious and then the 10 yr old can't unlatch the lock. Seriously? Did you never have fire safety lessons? I learned that when I was a child.

Quoting Anonymous:

How is it a fire hazard?

Quoting acrogodess:

That is such a fire hazard, but I can understand you just want to keep him in and safe. :-(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Here in the state that I live in its ILLEGAL to lock your kids in their rooms at night, if a person gets reproted for it, they lose their kids. might want to check your state laws.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM

He knows it is wrong and does it anyway. How do you suggest I teach him boundaries? No forms of punishment make him stop. 

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

At 5 he should know better. Teach him boundaries and consequences for doing that. Locking him in there just teaches him that he has to outsmart you guys to get out...which i'm sure he will eventually figure out because he thinks its funny.

faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

And if there is a fire, they get to die.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

The police suggested it. It is not illegal as long as it is on the insiden of the door

Quoting Anonymous:

Here in the state that I live in its ILLEGAL to lock your kids in their rooms at night, if a person gets reproted for it, they lose their kids. might want to check your state laws.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

How? Plus unless the fire was in the bathroom we could get to them

Quoting faire_jour:

And if there is a fire, they get to die.

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Fire alarms are useless in the middle of the night. Many people sleep right through them. Like I said, I understand you want to keep him indoors from wandering the streets. I would have him room sharing before I would lock him in his own room. Your kid though. What state are you in though? Check state laws before cps gets involved. Police is not necessarily informed on all fire safety laws.
Quoting Anonymous:

We have smoke/fire detectors. They would go of before that plus unless the fire is in the bathroom we would be right there. 

Quoting acrogodess:

Quoting Anonymous:

How is it a fire hazard?

Quoting acrogodess:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN