Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help with my new hobby :)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
I'm going to start doing acrylic nail sets for women in my home to make some extra cash on the side. I was thinking about doing some for free so that way i can get kind of a portfolio built up. Do you think i should charge from the start or do the first few for free? How many? 5? 10? 20? Thanks for your input :)
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM
4 moms liked this

It takes school & licensing to do this. You could be sued by someone if they were to get a fungus or any other problems. We live in a very litigious society

Anonandon
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM

What will you do if someone gets an infection from your work? 

tinkerbelle18
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I wouldn't go to someone who wasn't licensed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM
People have already been asking me to do their nails. I've done them on my sister before. They know I'm not licensed.

Quoting tinkerbelle18:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Would having them sign a waiver help me at all? They are aware I'm not licensed and are asking me to do them.

Quoting wooly:

It takes school & licensing to do this. You could be sued by someone if they were to get a fungus or any other problems. We live in a very litigious society

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Would having them sign a waiver help me at all? They are aware I'm not licensed and are asking me to do them.

Quoting Anonandon:

Jessicamarquez
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Then stick to your friends anyone else will and can sue you. Including your sisters and friends since you are not licensed and probably don't have the proper things to sterilize your tools no I wouldn't go that's dirty go get licensed if you already have the talent and then get a job at a salon.
jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM

No - you would be running an illegal business...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonandon:

smurfbitebug
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Hobby*

I don't correct people's spelling often but this time it is for a reason. If you want to start this up and be successful you aren't going to want to misspell things when you advertise. Seriously. People avoid partaking in business if they question the intelligence of the professional handling them. I'm not saying you're stupid. I am saying it could be a problem for you in the future.
KGreen75
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM

It doesn't matter.  It's one thing to do it on close family, who you know won't sue you...But if you actually advertise, the health department can fine the shit out of you and if someone gets an infection, they can sue you.

You have to be certified and carry liability insurance.

Quoting Anonymous:

People have already been asking me to do their nails. I've done them on my sister before. They know I'm not licensed.

Quoting tinkerbelle18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured