Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Swim teacher's odd demand...

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM
  • 253 Replies
2 moms liked this

My son's swimming instructor insists that all the parents leave the pool deck entirely during the lesson. I find this weird because all of the other teachers encourage the parents to stay and watch from the bleachers on the deck. This is not a policy of the facility that parents can't watch, just this one teacher. It makes me wonder why? I always stayed and watched because I enjoy seeing DS swim, but now I want to stay because the teacher wanting us to leave so badly makes me suspicious (and the other parents feel the same). Would you stay and watch or leave like the teacher says?

Note: I'm not helicoptering here, if it was the facility's policy that the parents wait somewhere else, I would... but it's just this particular teacher. The parents for all the other classes going on at the same time remain on the bleachers. And the other sections are all full, so I can't just switch teachers.

ETA: A couple things coming up in the comments- The instructor is female.  DS is 3, and the other kids in the class are 3-4. The bleachers are far enough away from the area of the pool where the lessons are that any interaction between parent/child would be very difficult. Most of the kids don't even notice the parents are there, honestly.

ETA 2: Wow, featured post! Just wanted to add that the bleachers are across the pool and at the other end of it from where the swim lessons are. So distraction shouldn't really be an issue here.

ETA 3: The reason she gave today is that the kids will cry and try to get out if the parents stay. But none of the kids in the class have done that thus far (2 classes) and all the parents but one stayed for both classes. I should have mentioned this earlier because a lot of you have been asking about this. Thus far, she seems like a good instructor, but I don't know if that's just because she's on "good behavior" with the parents there.

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Foleygirl24
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM

How old?  That seems weird to me too.  My kids don't go anywhere without an adult that I know and trust. (my oldest is 5)

Foleygirl24
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM

He's 3. The class is 3-4 year olds mostly.

Baby4us09
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM
3 moms liked this
That is weird. I would start checking into this persons background. I don't trust anyone but that's just me.
Foleygirl24
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Whoops, forgot to quote when I replied. He's 3. The class is mostly 3-4 YOs.

Quoting Anonymous:

How old?  That seems weird to me too.  My kids don't go anywhere without an adult that I know and trust. (my oldest is 5)

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM

He probably thinks you distract them.  

Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM
6 moms liked this
I would stay. I am not leaving my child unattended with someone I don't know and completely trust. She can shove it, I'm staying.
Kristanna
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM
14 moms liked this

I swam competitively when I was younger, I even won Gold in the Jr. Olympics. I had two amazing coaches in Spain, and both would make the parents leave completely. They didn't want us worried about parents, impressing them, parents shouting at us, etc... and to eliminate that before that even became an issue, all parents left. 

It's a coaching style, unless the kids report him acting out of line then you parents should respect it.

WhySoSalty
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Obviously hes going to molest all the children.... Good lord. Maybe parents just make them nervous.
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I would switch teachers ASAP, it seems fishy to me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN