Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has anyone ever done this? *foster kitten questions!!!**

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM
FAT
  • 8 Replies
We are going to be short term foster for 3 kittens starting tomorrow for 1-2 weeks.

I have never done this before! I forget the exact age they are but I was told they have already been fixed and are litter trained, so they are not really tiny or anything.

I have to set aside a "kitten zone" in my house where they are contained but can move around safely. They recommended an extra bedroom (don't have one) or laundry room.

I think I'm going to take my sons frame off the bed and just put the box spring/mattress on the floor so they can't crawl up under and hide in the box spring. They can be in there for most of the day, my son is excited about that. He's 9.

I don't really want them in there at night though, I think they will keep him up mewing and playing. I was thinking the laundry room at night? But I don't know how to fix it so they can't get between the washer/dryer and hide behind the machines?

Does this sound like a decent set up? How can I block off the spaces between the laundry machines and wall so they can't get lost back there?

Any other tips or anything if you have done a foster thing before for kittens? We are excited but I just want to make sure I do everything right.
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ThatSkinnyGirl
by FAT on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Nothing? No drama?
HappySquirrel
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I personally would recommend keeping them in ONE room without shuffling between two. It becomes taxing before you realize it. As far as the machines go, they will go behind there unless you have something smooth to block it off, like tall and plastic. Anything fabric can be climbed if they re not declawed. You know the cat at the top of the drapes thing? Kittens can do that too if they work at it so the whole bed thing in your son's room is maybe not such a good idea. Kittens need a place to sharpen claws too so a nice scratcher is good. My cats love the cardboard ones. And something softer and preferably elevated by a foot or two for sleeping, but elevation is not necessary. And cats, when they are moved often find places to relieve themselves other than the litter box so be sure to keep your floor picked up of any laundry. Cats looove laundry. Good luck!
ThatSkinnyGirl
by FAT on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Thank you! I feel like my laundry room is too small to keep them in for all day. =| Do you think it's not good to have them in my sons room then? I figured they would climb on his bed but we are ok with that, I'm more worried about eliminating possible hiding places or places to get stuck.

Quoting HappySquirrel:

I personally would recommend keeping them in ONE room without shuffling between two. It becomes taxing before you realize it. As far as the machines go, they will go behind there unless you have something smooth to block it off, like tall and plastic. Anything fabric can be climbed if they re not declawed. You know the cat at the top of the drapes thing? Kittens can do that too if they work at it so the whole bed thing in your son's room is maybe not such a good idea. Kittens need a place to sharpen claws too so a nice scratcher is good. My cats love the cardboard ones. And something softer and preferably elevated by a foot or two for sleeping, but elevation is not necessary. And cats, when they are moved often find places to relieve themselves other than the litter box so be sure to keep your floor picked up of any laundry. Cats looove laundry. Good luck!
HappySquirrel
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM
In my experience, it is rare for a cat to get stuck and hiding places are good. They get shy too, you know? Just a couple hidey holes. I really don't think the wash room is a bad place at all and if it were me, I wouldn't even bat an eye at them running behind the machines. It's like kids and a giant cardboard box. They love that stuff. And paper bags too. Throw down a paper bag and watch the kittens find great ways to try to hunt each other and enjoy the crinkle of the paper. I would seriously recommend not your son's room until you get to know those cats and can trust they won't soil your carpet or any plush toys your kid has. Luggage is a big no-no and backpacks too. Seriously don't know what it is with luggage and backpacks, but cats seem to love hiding in em and peeing all over them. Cats also, when you open up more of your space to them, need to be introduced a little at a time (depending on the cat) or they might again try to find other places where they want the litter pan to go. Really depends on the cat, but if they're all spayed and neutered you really should be okay when you introduce more space. How long will you be fostering them? If just a few weeks, the laundry will be fine for the whole time. If months? You will likely choose to let them free roam your house eventually, but that is up to you and your situation, of course. As long as you interact with them regularly, the laundry room with a few fake mice and jingly balls and a scratcher and bed can work for quite a while.

Quoting ThatSkinnyGirl:Thank you! I feel like my laundry room is too small to keep them in for all day. =| Do you think it's not good to have them in my sons room then? I figured they would climb on his bed but we are ok with that, I'm more worried about eliminating possible hiding places or places to get stuck.

Quoting HappySquirrel:I personally would recommend keeping them in ONE room without shuffling between two. It becomes taxing before you realize it. As far as the machines go, they will go behind there unless you have something smooth to block it off, like tall and plastic. Anything fabric can be climbed if they re not declawed. You know the cat at the top of the drapes thing? Kittens can do that too if they work at it so the whole bed thing in your son's room is maybe not such a good idea. Kittens need a place to sharpen claws too so a nice scratcher is good. My cats love the cardboard ones. And something softer and preferably elevated by a foot or two for sleeping, but elevation is not necessary. And cats, when they are moved often find places to relieve themselves other than the litter box so be sure to keep your floor picked up of any laundry. Cats looove laundry. Good luck!
ThatSkinnyGirl
by FAT on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Thank you so much for responding! Maybe I will just do the laundry room at first. My house is like open floor plan so I can't even block off the living room easily, so I'm worried what it will be like when I bring them out to play. I know the rescue group will answer more of my questions when I see them tomorrow. We have an older kitten, he's about a year old we got from this rescue last year. I saw on their fb page they needed a temporary foster while these kittens main foster is on vacation, so I thought it would be a good practice run for me to see if its something I could ever do more seriously. That's why I don't know that much about it..

We have a laminate wood throughout the house and tile in the laundry room so that is good. My son actually has minimal stuff in his room so I thought it would be a good place for them to play once they are comfortable. I'm thinking a lot of it is going to be figure it out as we go since I haven't even seen them yet but I'm assuming they are pretty active if they are old enough to have been fixed?

My son has a big sleigh bed frame which will be a hassle to take down, so if that's not necessary I will be glad (and so will my husband). I definitely need to clean out under there though. It's full of god knows what a 9 year old boy shoves under his bed. I'm worried about them getting in the box spring because I know it's like half open (you know that flimsy sheet thing stapled on the underside of a box spring that always gets holes and falls apart? That's not just me right? Lol)

Quoting HappySquirrel:

In my experience, it is rare for a cat to get stuck and hiding places are good. They get shy too, you know? Just a couple hidey holes. I really don't think the wash room is a bad place at all and if it were me, I wouldn't even bat an eye at them running behind the machines. It's like kids and a giant cardboard box. They love that stuff. And paper bags too. Throw down a paper bag and watch the kittens find great ways to try to hunt each other and enjoy the crinkle of the paper. I would seriously recommend not your son's room until you get to know those cats and can trust they won't soil your carpet or any plush toys your kid has. Luggage is a big no-no and backpacks too. Seriously don't know what it is with luggage and backpacks, but cats seem to love hiding in em and peeing all over them. Cats also, when you open up more of your space to them, need to be introduced a little at a time (depending on the cat) or they might again try to find other places where they want the litter pan to go. Really depends on the cat, but if they're all spayed and neutered you really should be okay when you introduce more space. How long will you be fostering them? If just a few weeks, the laundry will be fine for the whole time. If months? You will likely choose to let them free roam your house eventually, but that is up to you and your situation, of course. As long as you interact with them regularly, the laundry room with a few fake mice and jingly balls and a scratcher and bed can work for quite a while.

Quoting ThatSkinnyGirl:Thank you! I feel like my laundry room is too small to keep them in for all day. =| Do you think it's not good to have them in my sons room then? I figured they would climb on his bed but we are ok with that, I'm more worried about eliminating possible hiding places or places to get stuck.

Quoting HappySquirrel:I personally would recommend keeping them in ONE room without shuffling between two. It becomes taxing before you realize it. As far as the machines go, they will go behind there unless you have something smooth to block it off, like tall and plastic. Anything fabric can be climbed if they re not declawed. You know the cat at the top of the drapes thing? Kittens can do that too if they work at it so the whole bed thing in your son's room is maybe not such a good idea. Kittens need a place to sharpen claws too so a nice scratcher is good. My cats love the cardboard ones. And something softer and preferably elevated by a foot or two for sleeping, but elevation is not necessary. And cats, when they are moved often find places to relieve themselves other than the litter box so be sure to keep your floor picked up of any laundry. Cats looove laundry. Good luck!

ThatSkinnyGirl
by FAT on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Bump!!!
ThatSkinnyGirl
by FAT on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM
I know there are cat people here!! Where are you guys?!
HappySquirrel
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Definitely not just you! My box springs take damage in the moves we've made and kids shove stuff under there that doesn't fit.. Cats will find their way up in there. It makes a great hiding spot and then they play and accidentally claw stuff up in there. It can be very damaging. I know people who get really into the fostering thing who put up a permanent baby gate in their house to keep animals out of spaces. I am sure I couldn't do that to my house but that is an option if you really get into it. And as far as their age, I know some shelters that will spay/neuter them as early as 8 weeks because people like puppies and kittens more than grown animals and it's a rule they need to have it done before they leave so, really, it is done early to help place them.

Really it sounds like fun and it sounds like you're going about it the right way by trying it out for a very temporary arrangement first. Good for you and I hope you are able to find a way and it works beautifully for your family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN