Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son just asked me what color he is.

Posted by   + Show Post

Mobile Photo

I asked him "what color do you think you are?"

He said, "red! Like lightning mc queen!"

Red it is! Lol!!

We don't discuss race much, he's always had a white mommy and a AA daddy. I wonder what it will be like for him in the future? Will most of our country be interracial? Maybe this is a divine plan, wheather you believe in God or a higher power. Maybe the mixing of cultures and genetics was meant to end the racial stereotyping in America.. thoughts?
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
activitymode
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
he's going to be a heartbreaker when he's older.

I think you handled it age appropriately. I don't have biracial children but I'm pretty sure I would have asked him the same question lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I'm light skinned. Okay...I'm lying in two shades lighter than light and DH is dark skinned. My kids are in between. Darker than me, lighter than DH.

DS (7) doesn't usually notice. I only hear him reference skin color if he's asked or when taking about crayons. He calls peach the one 'skin colored'. Lol

Quoting prissypoptart:

Thank you. I think he knows he's not the same color as mom or dad, idk how to approach this. Hes got the best of both worlds? I think, lightning mcqueen red is the best answer. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Racial sterotyping will never end in America. Never.

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Ha. :-)

Quoting prissypoptart:

Lmao!! I saturate my photos when I'm editing and turn orange as hell. Lmao!!

Quoting acrogodess:

I would just be honest and explain that since he is darker than mommy and has daddy's last name (I am being presumptuous, I know.) That on paper he is considered black, but his actual color is beautiful shade of caramel that some people pay to try and get. Lol explain that most of the time they end up being orange like an oompa loompa :D

Quoting prissypoptart:

Thank you. I think he knows he's not the same color as mom or dad, idk how to approach this. Hes got the best of both worlds? I think, lightning mcqueen red is the best answer. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nelliesmommy
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM

He is so handsome!

HappySquirrel
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Holy smokes. Tell him he is the color of beautiful!
prinzesa_edith
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

hes the color of love. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM
So cute. A few yrs ago mine told dh that mommy was white, he was brown, and they were mocha lol. They were only 3 at the time.

I read a study though the other day that says whites are becoming the minority in the under 5 group. A large amount of the under 5 are interracial. So I think its becoming the new normal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM
My husband is white and I'm black. Our daughter keeps saying she's white. I just keep telling her she's blk and white.
chattycassie
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM
He is so adorable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)