Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Apparently it's inappropriate to teach my daughter how to.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
To count.

My daughter is 15 months old.

We were counting with her stacking cups as she was stacking them.

We would get to five. She'd knock them over. Giggle. And we would restart.

I got my phone out and recorded her counting with me.

After she knocked them over and giggled she restarted, and stacked three while counting "one............twooooooooook...........fweeeeee" then looked at me to say four and five while she stacked and held her fingers )she can't say four and five yet, but she can show on her fingers).

Sil called the house phone. I ended the video and answered the phone.

She asked what were doing and I said "I was just helping dd count and making a video of her to show my dh"

She says "you've been teaching her to count".

And I said "well not really. I always count her snacks out for her. And she started showing me 1-3 on her fingers so today I started counting cups with her"

Sil goes on to say that at 15 months she is not at an appropriate age for us to be teaching her to count. And that shoving education down her isn't going to make her enjoy, it will make her hate it And then she won't want to learn.

Wtf?

First off, I wasn't aware that there was a specific age to you had to reach before your parents could start teaching you numbers.

Second, she was having fun counting and stacking cups with me!

What the hell???

Eta- she has one child, he is 7 months old.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM
She has a 7 month old

Quoting livelaughlov26:

Does she have kids?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Hahahaha!!!!!

Your SIL is an idiot. This is prime time to teach her. When SHE is leading, and having fun with it!
Pnukey
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM

She is wrong. That is the absolute best way to teach your kids to make them love learning. The giggling isn't a distress cry!

AMRios
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Umm no... She is wrong... You start at birth... It is never to early for them to learn things... 

Scribbleprints
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM

15 months would be an inappropriate age to EXPECT your child to know how to count, but not to start teaching her to.  Sounds like you're doing great with her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I think dd thinks she's extra big and strong when she knocks her toys over. She says giggles and looks so proud.

Quoting Pnukey:

She is wrong. That is the absolute best way to teach your kids to make them love learning. The giggling isn't a distress cry!

Suzy_Sunshine
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM

she is intimidated

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Quoting fivegirls333:

i call bullshit.  there is way more to the story and i bet sil would not tell it that way.  it sounds like something you "do" and she was just calling you on it.  there is a reason children learn certain things at a certain age.  i don't believe it was just casual play and she just happen to count like that and you just "happen" to have a cam-recorder.  it sounds like your family is trying to reel you in  and you are not getting their "subtle" messages.

Children learn through play. They don't have to be on a schedule to learn things if they are interested why wait. Also most people have camcorders on their cell phones.
twinners.mama
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Ignore her. You are fine and I do the same with my girls. Start early and make it fun and they will catch on super quick!! You're doing a good job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM

No offense your SIL sounds like a moron lol,just ignore her...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN