Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Apparently it's inappropriate to teach my daughter how to.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
To count.

My daughter is 15 months old.

We were counting with her stacking cups as she was stacking them.

We would get to five. She'd knock them over. Giggle. And we would restart.

I got my phone out and recorded her counting with me.

After she knocked them over and giggled she restarted, and stacked three while counting "one............twooooooooook...........fweeeeee" then looked at me to say four and five while she stacked and held her fingers )she can't say four and five yet, but she can show on her fingers).

Sil called the house phone. I ended the video and answered the phone.

She asked what were doing and I said "I was just helping dd count and making a video of her to show my dh"

She says "you've been teaching her to count".

And I said "well not really. I always count her snacks out for her. And she started showing me 1-3 on her fingers so today I started counting cups with her"

Sil goes on to say that at 15 months she is not at an appropriate age for us to be teaching her to count. And that shoving education down her isn't going to make her enjoy, it will make her hate it And then she won't want to learn.

Wtf?

First off, I wasn't aware that there was a specific age to you had to reach before your parents could start teaching you numbers.

Second, she was having fun counting and stacking cups with me!

What the hell???

Eta- she has one child, he is 7 months old.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Replies (41-50):
piesmama09
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Your SIL is a f-ing idiot, ignore her and her crap advice!!

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

She is a dumbass. My DD could count to 10 before she turned two. We would count candy and separate them by color. She would have to tell me the color and how many there are before she could eat them. She learned fast.

amberleh
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I'd tell her to mind her own business and worry about her own kid TYVM. 

That is so cute that your DD is having fun counting like that! 

TexTornado
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM

You can rest in the knowledge that her child will be one DUMB MO'FO!!!!  lololol!!  Poor thing.  And it won't be his fault either. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM

LOL yeah this,when my Kids were toddlers I would do learning play with them too,nobody said I couldn't,that is why they have all those learning toys and counting games...

Quoting dmarie2101:

LOL.

counting with children is usually something parent "do"...what is the reason they should be on a learning schedule?

children learn through play constantly. its the main way they learn things.

she said she got her phone...most phones have a camera/recorder on them. geez. do you still have a nokia with snake on it?

theres nothing wrong with what she was doing. you sound crazy and ridiculous. if your kid says a new word before youve scheduled it, do you grab a book and say "you cant know that yet"? Christ.

Quoting fivegirls333:

i call bullshit.  there is way more to the story and i bet sil would not tell it that way.  it sounds like something you "do" and she was just calling you on it.  there is a reason children learn certain things at a certain age.  i don't believe it was just casual play and she just happen to count like that and you just "happen" to have a cam-recorder.  it sounds like your family is trying to reel you in  and you are not getting their "subtle" messages.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM
OMG you're a horrible mother! How dare you play games with your child that might accidentally teach her something. If you're not careful she might be... smart... GASP!
thatgirlNH
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM

It's never to early to start. I had it set that I would use everyday everythings to teach my son with from day one. Whenever I talked to him I would always use descriptive words. Colors and etc. When he played with toys we would randomly count things or I would count as I went along. I think it helped tremendously, he was doing 123, ABC's and colors at a fairly young age very well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM
We made it a habit to always say please and thank you around her. now she says thank you any time you hand her anything. and if you dont say 'youre welcome' she keeps saying thank you until you do.

Quoting thatgirlNH:

It's never to early to start. I had it set that I would use everyday everythings to teach my son with from day one. Whenever I talked to him I would always use descriptive words. Colors and etc. When he played with toys we would randomly count things or I would count as I went along. I think it helped tremendously, he was doing 123, ABC's and colors at a fairly young age very well.

csxt99
by Jennifer on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Well shit, that means I really screwed my kid up. He was counting to 20 by the time he was 18 months old, singing his ABC's by the time he was 2, reading by the time he was 4 and doing 2nd grade math before he got into kindergarten. He is now 7, going into 2nd grade and he is doing 4th grade school work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)