Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Apparently it's inappropriate to teach my daughter how to.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
To count.

My daughter is 15 months old.

We were counting with her stacking cups as she was stacking them.

We would get to five. She'd knock them over. Giggle. And we would restart.

I got my phone out and recorded her counting with me.

After she knocked them over and giggled she restarted, and stacked three while counting "one............twooooooooook...........fweeeeee" then looked at me to say four and five while she stacked and held her fingers )she can't say four and five yet, but she can show on her fingers).

Sil called the house phone. I ended the video and answered the phone.

She asked what were doing and I said "I was just helping dd count and making a video of her to show my dh"

She says "you've been teaching her to count".

And I said "well not really. I always count her snacks out for her. And she started showing me 1-3 on her fingers so today I started counting cups with her"

Sil goes on to say that at 15 months she is not at an appropriate age for us to be teaching her to count. And that shoving education down her isn't going to make her enjoy, it will make her hate it And then she won't want to learn.

Wtf?

First off, I wasn't aware that there was a specific age to you had to reach before your parents could start teaching you numbers.

Second, she was having fun counting and stacking cups with me!

What the hell???

Eta- she has one child, he is 7 months old.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Replies (71-76):
katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM

She sounds like a dumb bitch. At 20 months, my DS could count to 10, and knew the alphabet. He's 28 months now, and can read short sentences and knows some basic math. He LOVES learning. It's never too early to start. SS's mom never taught him anything, just sat him infront of mindless cartoons all day, and now he's 5 and hates learning. He didn't know the alphabet until the same time DS did. He refused to learn anything scholarly, because he'd only been taught to play and to watch TV.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Your SIL is a freakin' moron. Kids are primed for learning, they absorb knowledge like a sponge, and learning through play is the best way to teach. Just ask my 5-yr old who starts kinder this fall and reads chapter books and can add, subtract and mutliply and divide.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Your SIL is a crazy, interfering bitch. I would tell her so. She sucks. Good luck with living with someone that you let talk down to you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM
When you're doing it in a fun and laid back way it's fine. Some people like to start going psycho on their toddlers if they can't count to 20 by age two and identify flash cards. That's not ok.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Even fetuses can count, they did studies where they tapped on moms' bellies and the babies kicked back the same amount.

Quoting morrigan914:

There have been studies that infants can count, she's an idiot.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

ignore her. 

and make sure to show her the video of the "inappropriateness" LOL 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)